Questions to Survey123 webhooks

Jump to solution
10-29-2019 08:28 AM
deleted-user--2hDb5YTmQS1
New Contributor II

Hello

We want to send survey data via webhook to FME Server. In a first test case we already managed to establish the webhook communication from Survey123 to FME Server (and process the data within FME). Nevertheless, some questions arose which I hope to get answered here in GeoNet. The setting is that the customer only wants to use ArcGIS Enterprise, not ArcGIS Online.

Is it correct that the webhook cannot be configured in ArcGIS Enterprise directly but only on the Survey123 website?

• Any explanation for that?

The Survey123 website wants to connect my ArcGIS Enterprise account.

• Does that mean that I am finally working with ArcGIS Online after all and that ArcGIS Online accesses my ArcGIS Enterprise? (That’ s what the customer does not admit.)
  • Do I need an ArcGIS Online account to use the Survey123 website?

If I connect the Survey123 website with my ArcGIS Enterprise, how does that work?

• Which data is sent to the internet, which data is stored outside of my ArcGIS Enterprise and what does Survey123 access in my environment?

The survey data is sent in JSON format to the webhook.

• How about images, are they also sent to the webhook? (It didn’t work in our test case.)
  • How can I access the webhook sent images?

Thanks for any help, best regards.

Jürgen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Is it correct that the webhook cannot be configured in ArcGIS Enterprise directly but only on the Survey123 website?

You should be able configure webhooks with ArcGIS Enterprise. Start by configuring the Survey123 website to work against your ArcGIS Enterprise as described at: Use Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation   Then, register a webhook using any of these options:

1. Go straight into the webhook page within the Survey123 website and enter the URL you want to set as your webhook URL. You will also be able to configure payload and events that trigger your webhook. I am guessing this is the same approach you took to register a webhook against FME Server.  If this does not work against your Enterprise instance, then please open an Esri Technical Support incident so we can look at it closely.
  2. Alternatively, if using Integromat, you can also setup your webhook against ArcGIS Enterprise. 

Note: You cannot configure the Microsoft Flow Survey123 connector against Enterprise (we continue working with Microsoft to see what options we could offer you).

• Does that mean that I am finally working with ArcGIS Online after all and that ArcGIS Online accesses my ArcGIS Enterprise? (That’ s what the customer does not admit.)

If you configure the Survey123 website to work with your own ArcGIS Enterprise portal (using the portalUrl query parameter), then you are effectively working with ArcGIS Enterprise: You will authenticate against Enterprise, your data will be in Enterprise, etc.   

If I connect the Survey123 website with my ArcGIS Enterprise, how does that work?

• Which data is sent to the internet, which data is stored outside of my ArcGIS Enterprise and what does Survey123 access in my environment?

Essentially, the Survey123 website gets downloaded into your browser. Since your browser is sitting in the same network as your Enterprise, the website can work against your Enterprise instance. In this configuration no data is stored outside ArcGIS Enterprise. In fact, ArcGIS Online does not connect to your Enterprise at all: You can keep Enterprise behind the firewall and the solution still works, because this configuration does not rely on having ArcGIS Online be able to connect to your Enterprise.  The only exception would be the Survey123 Feature Report functionality which would have Online connect to your Enterprise to generate the report files.

If this configuration is not acceptable, you can install the Survey123 website and REST API locally within your network. Instructions available in the Early Adopter Program.

• How about images, are they also sent to the webhook? (It didn’t work in our test case.)

Images are not part of the webhook payload, but can be retrieved using HTTP requests.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

You should be able configure webhooks with ArcGIS Enterprise. Start by configuring the Survey123 website to work against your ArcGIS Enterprise as described at: Use Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation   Then, register a webhook using any of these options:

1. Go straight into the webhook page within the Survey123 website and enter the URL you want to set as your webhook URL. You will also be able to configure payload and events that trigger your webhook. I am guessing this is the same approach you took to register a webhook against FME Server.  If this does not work against your Enterprise instance, then please open an Esri Technical Support incident so we can look at it closely.
  2. Alternatively, if using Integromat, you can also setup your webhook against ArcGIS Enterprise. 

Note: You cannot configure the Microsoft Flow Survey123 connector against Enterprise (we continue working with Microsoft to see what options we could offer you).

If you configure the Survey123 website to work with your own ArcGIS Enterprise portal (using the portalUrl query parameter), then you are effectively working with ArcGIS Enterprise: You will authenticate against Enterprise, your data will be in Enterprise, etc.   

Essentially, the Survey123 website gets downloaded into your browser. Since your browser is sitting in the same network as your Enterprise, the website can work against your Enterprise instance. In this configuration no data is stored outside ArcGIS Enterprise. In fact, ArcGIS Online does not connect to your Enterprise at all: You can keep Enterprise behind the firewall and the solution still works, because this configuration does not rely on having ArcGIS Online be able to connect to your Enterprise.  The only exception would be the Survey123 Feature Report functionality which would have Online connect to your Enterprise to generate the report files.

If this configuration is not acceptable, you can install the Survey123 website and REST API locally within your network. Instructions available in the Early Adopter Program.

Images are not part of the webhook payload, but can be retrieved using HTTP requests.

deleted-user--2hDb5YTmQS1
New Contributor II

Hi Ismael,

Thank you very much for the detailed answers. They very much help to better understand the Survey123 website.

As for the images: Do you have an example how they can be retrieved using an HTTP request?

Thanks once again, best regards,

Jürgen

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jürgen,

In this situation, you will first need to query attachments to identify the attachments of the feature (see Query Attachments (Feature Service/Layer)—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developer... ) and then construct their URLs based on their attachment IDs.

0 Kudos
EaganGIS
New Contributor II

Is there still no option to configure webhooks via Enterprise portal using Microsoft PowerAutomate (FLOW)?

Thanks,
Leah Sperduto 

0 Kudos
LeahSperduto1
New Contributor II

We recently learned that there is an option to configure webhooks in PowerAutomate with Portal by creating a Connector in portal.  (https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000025025)

We are running into an issue implementing this and cannot get the connector to read our existing surveys using the fields from the survey dynamically or even finding a connection to our Portal. Can we get some help troubleshooting this?  I've attached some screenshots but not sure what to provide for troubleshooting.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Leah Sperduto

0 Kudos