Question in un used Relevant gets empty string?

Jump to solution
07-30-2018 07:33 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is looking like any question in a relevant that is never used gets assigned empty string "".  I would think it would get Null but no it is empty string.  I have a conversion script that gets tripped up trying to put a empty string in a Int field. 

I can program around it but wondering if there is a way to change this.  I would prefer Null.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately there is no way to change this and it is the expected behaviour of the app for a question that is not relevant. A null value and empty string are different (as I'm sure you know), and for purposes of editing and using the Inbox in the app, not relevant question are required to behave this way.

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately there is no way to change this and it is the expected behaviour of the app for a question that is not relevant. A null value and empty string are different (as I'm sure you know), and for purposes of editing and using the Inbox in the app, not relevant question are required to behave this way.

Phil.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks.  I do put in a strong vote to address this however.  In the Esri world no response is Null.  Good or bad that is the standard that Esri created.  If users are forced to use this standard then so should the Esri development team.  Over the years internal Esri inconsistencies have caused countless hours of issues.  Another example is the editor tracking fields having had 3 different names over the years, and there are two different versions still in use today even.

Not trying to beat anyone up just asking to consider working towards consistency across products.

Thanks

0 Kudos