Has anyone had issues with the pull data function working in Survey Connect and the Survey desktop app but not on their mobile devices? I created a simple survey that pulls in data and calculates a field based on the pull data function. It works when I test it in Connect and it works on the desktop Survey app, but the field will not auto populate on my iOS device or my Samsung Galaxy tablet. Both have the most updated versions of Survey, and I have the most current versions of Connect and the desktop app as well. For now, this is using a hosted feature layer published to Portal. It's not an issue with the syntax or the pull data csv file since I was able to publish the survey no problem and I have been able to test it with no issues. Just not sure why it won't work on the mobile devices. Thanks in advance.
I wonder if the problem could be caused by the name of your file not matching exactly the filename you set in the XLSForm expression. Windows is not case sensitive, but iOS is.
A good thought, but I don't believe that is the case. I am experiencing the same behavior on my iOS phone and my Samsung Galaxy Tablet. My table names in my choices list match the names of the .csv tables.
I've attached a zip of the survey folder for your convenience. (you'll be happy to see this survey is considerably smaller than the last one I had sent you.) Thank you sir.
@IsmaelChivite @JamesTedrick I had another user who was logged in with a different user name test it on his mobile device and he encountered the same issue. I did double check and made sure my field names matched my table names. I don't want to tweak it or change anything since I know the survey works and won't throw any errors, but this issue needs to be resolved or I can't publish it. This survey will be accessed out in the field so I am hoping we can figure out the pull data issue.
Just wondering if you ever found a solution to this issue? I am experiencing the same thing now. I have a survey that uses the pull data function that worked successfully in the past, but now is not working on mobile devices. It is still working on the desktop app. Thanks! Sara
I'm seeing an issue where recent updates I have made to a CSV file are not working, though all the original records - exactly the same pulldata functions pointing to the same CSV file - work fine. So the calculations work, only recent changes (not to the headers, just body text) to the CSV aren't working.
This is a CSV file in the Media folder of the Survey. No issues in Connect or Windows, but not working on iOS. This seems to be a common issue on iOS with CSV files created before a key date...
I tried creating a new CSV file and reusing the same filename, though this didn't work. I tried harder and used a NEW FILENAME and updated my pulldata calculations (find/replace) accordingly and this worked.