pulldata() doesn't work unless using intermediary field

01-04-2024 01:23 PM
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

My pulldata() works when my select_one_from_file is the same CSV as the pulldata(), but when I use a different CSV for the select_one_from_file, I need to use an intermediary field to pass along the value to pulldata().

Typically, I use the first method (select_one_from_file and pulldata() being the same CSV), so I am not sure if I just never noticed this before, or if this is new. This seems like a ridiculous limitation.

Using intermediary (select_one_from_file dumps value into 'why' field, and then 'why' goes into pulldata):

abureaux_0-1704402914558.png

abureaux_1-1704402972718.png

No intermediary (why' field is bypassed and select_one_from_file feeds directly into pulldata):

abureaux_2-1704403038686.png

abureaux_3-1704403060942.png

You'd think that maybe the select_one_from_file was returning the label instead of the name in this case for whatever reason, but I also copy-pasted the pulldata into a note and it appears that this isn't the case:

abureaux_4-1704403404698.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have seen this a few times and I think it is the order of operations.  At form load it calcs that pulldata right away or before the select_one.  Then it should catch the change but does not.

Two ideas.  Add the new calculation=always to pulldata so it recalcs for you.  Other is put a relevant on that pulldata so that it does not show, and thus does not fire the calc, until after your select_one is filled in.  Probably will look nicer in the form anyway.  No need to show it until the user picks a value so the flow is better.

Hope that does it

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I tried setting calculationMode=always, but it had no affect.

With the exception of the select_one_from_file, all the other fields are normally calculate. I just had them visible for the example.

I may bring this one up with Esri. It is acting like an unintentional bug since everything works with an intermediary. I got frustrated with pulldata not working, so now every select_one_from_file has an extra hidden text field exclusively for this purpose (sigh).

EDIT. This is the finished product:

abureaux_1-1704406275205.png

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try using a relevant?

0 Kudos