Select to view content in your preferred language

Populate subsequent answers from text answer

12-29-2022 11:08 AM
FloraGibbs
Emerging Contributor

I am wondering if it is possible to have a text question auto-populate from the first answer in a repeat sequence. We are sampling fish, and putting scales on a card that has a code on it. The card holds 50 different fish, so it would be useful to not keep entering the card number in 50 times. Is there any way to enter in the card number the in the first entry for the repeat and then have it auto-populate in all subsequent entries? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichelleWilliamsERM
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure I understand, but this might help you.

Just make sure the field lengths are the same in both.

MichelleWilliamsERM_1-1672416849114.png

0 Kudos
FloraGibbs
Emerging Contributor

FloraGibbs_0-1672417368089.png

This is my form, for reference. I want to be able to enter in a scale card number for the first entry in the repeat, and then have it autopopulate to whatever number the surveyor enters in for each subsequent entry. I might just have to use predictive text for it, since I can't find anything that would allow me to do that except pull data, and we will start with a new scale card number each day so it doesn't make sense to spend time entering those into a separate csv and use pulldata. 

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM
Frequent Contributor

Would they start a new survey daily with the same card number for all? 

If so, you could add the card number to the main survey and copy it into the repeats.

The reason I ask is that you have a date, temp, and total carcass in the main survey, which looks like you'd do it daily.

I don't fish, and I'm trying to see your workflow.

0 Kudos
FloraGibbs
Emerging Contributor

The card only holds about 20 fish, so every 20 it has to switch. There are days we get >50 fish, so while that is a good idea I'm not sure if it would work. It may just not be possible. Thank you anyways!

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliamsERM
Frequent Contributor

How about making the survey per card, so they enter the data for the card? I hope you find the right answer to your situation. 

How will you use the data on the backend? That will help you decide how to go forward. 

0 Kudos