Picture interface distorted on ipad

06-15-2020 09:38 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am using the latest stable build of the survey 123 app on a 5th generation Ipad mini. When I attempt to add an image to the survey, the camera interface displays a distorted field of view, stretched a bit horizontally and cropped vertically. The actual image capture looks correct but it is hard to tell if we are capturing the full image because of the cropping that occurs in the view. Is there a setting for aspect ratio that needs to be set to work correctly with an Ipad mini? Display looks good on the iphone.

b

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bob,

What version of survey123 field app are you using? Is this problem only occurred with iPad mini? Have you tested with other iPad model such as iPad Pro or Air? What iOS version of the iPad Mini  is running on? Could you provide a screenshot of the preview image which has the issue?

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shwu-jing, thanks for the reply. Sorry I did not see this sooner.

I am using the latest stable version of the survey 123 app on the latest stable build of iOS. 

The stretching occurs on both an ipad mini and an 11 inch pro. 

I attached a couple photos to give you a better idea of what is going on. Picture A is a photo of what the display looks like while taking a photo using survey 123. The photo is of a perfect circle and it is clear that the display is distorted. Photo B is the resultant photo taken by survey123, which is not distorted. So the good news is that the photo taken by survey 123 is not distorted, the bad news is that the display during the process of taking the photo IS distorted. The photos are also cropped so that it is not possible to see in the photo display the full frame of the resultant photo. This requires some guessing to properly frame the photo.

Distorted view

Resultant photo not distorted

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bob,

I tried with iPad air iOS 12.4.8 using field app 3.10.326 but was unable to see the distorted behavior you described. Did the survey matter? Are you seeing the same distorted behavior with any surveys contained image questions or just a specific survey?

If this is survey specific, could you share the XLSForm with us if the survey is designed from Connect?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bob,

We are able to repro the same behavior with some iOS devices here in house. Thanks for reporting this and we had logged an internal issue to address this, hopefully in the next release.

Thanks,

0 Kudos