Parameter requirements to enable survey submissions for only edits, no new records.

Jump to solution
03-30-2023 01:47 PM
dwold
by
Occasional Contributor II

I have a survey that will be going out to the public. I only want them to be able to edit records, not create new ones. I tried to follow this post. The question I have is I want the user to select the record they want to edit which is the first drop down question. How can I do that without using globalId? Or can I not?

If I want a blank form to open in edit mode, what is the URL structure?

Survey URL (not shared) but want to provide my URL:

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/ddbbf612e73849648fa4e2ff9748820d

I tried this but no luck:

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/ddbbf612e73849648fa4e2ff9748820dmode=edit

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @dwold

If you are looking to edit in the Survey123 field app you will need to use the Inbox for that workflow. If you are looking to use the Survey123 web app you can use URL parameters for the web app to edit specific records. 

In the Survey123 website you also have access over user access to records on the Collaborate tab of the Survey123 website. You also have more fine grain control over what editing is allowed in the feature service settings. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @dwold

Since you are using the web app I would suggest embedding the survey within a web page. This can be done through an ArcGIS Dashboard or Experience Builder application. You can also embed the survey in your own web page and dynamically load the record to edit though some external process in your web page. 

Ultimately in order to edit a record in the Survey123 web app you will need to provide the GlobalID for the record that you would like to edit otherwise the Survey123 web app doesn't know what record it should be editing. 

If you already have the data you would like edited in an existing feature service you can point your survey to that feature service and edit records directly from that service. 

Thank you,
Zach
dwold
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @ZacharySutherby thanks for the suggestions. If the survey was created in Suvery123 Connect, is there a way to enable edit parameters somewhere in XLSForm? Settings - submission_url? Or is the suggestion above the best way to truly enable the survey for edit only submissions?

I'm not able to edit this URL am I?

dwold_0-1680528610420.png

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @dwold

If you are looking to edit in the Survey123 field app you will need to use the Inbox for that workflow. If you are looking to use the Survey123 web app you can use URL parameters for the web app to edit specific records. 

In the Survey123 website you also have access over user access to records on the Collaborate tab of the Survey123 website. You also have more fine grain control over what editing is allowed in the feature service settings. 

Thank you,
Zach