On-screen keyboard in Survey123 app

Jump to solution
02-12-2021 10:03 AM
Shannon_Ehlers
New Contributor

Hello, Is there anyway to pin or lock the on-screen keyboard in one place in a Survey123 form in the field app? Rather than the keyboard popping up every time a field is selected, the keyboard is part of the form. If unable within Survey123, does anyone have an app suggestion for a on-screen keyboard that can be locked on the screen. Thank-you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Philip-Wilson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi @Shannon_Ehlers,

This is not currently possible with iOS or Android and the Survey123 field app. Like many other apps, the keyboard is controlled by the OS, so when an input field is selected that requires user input, the keyboard will appear, otherwise the OS will automatically hide the keyboard.

The problem with always showing the keyboard in the app, regardless of the input questions, would be that if you had a survey that had no input questions (such as geopoint, select one, select mulitple, rank, range, image, audio etc) then you would always see the keyboard and it would take up half the screen real estate, which on smaller devices would be an issue.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Philip-Wilson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi @Shannon_Ehlers,

This is not currently possible with iOS or Android and the Survey123 field app. Like many other apps, the keyboard is controlled by the OS, so when an input field is selected that requires user input, the keyboard will appear, otherwise the OS will automatically hide the keyboard.

The problem with always showing the keyboard in the app, regardless of the input questions, would be that if you had a survey that had no input questions (such as geopoint, select one, select mulitple, rank, range, image, audio etc) then you would always see the keyboard and it would take up half the screen real estate, which on smaller devices would be an issue.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Shannon_Ehlers
New Contributor

Thank-you for your answer. I realize it is not a utility that would be used by many especially those using Survey123 in a smaller format. I will say that in the case of conducting a timed survey (i.e. avian point count), I find it very distracting that the keyboard appears and disappears and essentially rearranges the rest of the form as I navigate from one field to the next. I also recognize that this would be a difficult feature to offer as the onscreen keyboard is dictated by the OS. I am just trying to make my forms as user-friendly to my non-digital friendly technicians as possible. Again, thank-you for your answer.

0 Kudos