Notes blocked from tablet Copy/Paste

02-08-2019 12:56 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have a form where I am tracking all the Unknown Codes entered in a repeat.  I then give this list to the user at the end of the form.  I want them to be able to copy and paste this list into another tablet program.  But if it is a note or read only the tablet will not highlight and copy it.  Thinks it is not text I guess.

I can make it a text instead but then the user might accidently delete it when trying to copy it.  Also on some tablets the copy blacks out the text (instead of the blue highlight).

Why is copying blocked?  What is the best way to do this?  Is there a copy button or action I could use?  Like a copy to clipboard option would be sweet.  Or maybe even a URL that opens Memo or Word?   I need it to work on Android and Apple.

Thanks

4 Replies
PhilipQueen
Occasional Contributor

Doug, I've noticed when basing select_one questions off of a calculation, if the answer is changed a "refresh" button appears that will refresh to the calculated answer when clicked. Maybe you could try to see if this functionality works with text fields also? If it does work, if your users accidentally delete or change text they will have the option to get the original text back.

It should be easy to make a calculation display your text (you can always use a tautology as an if() condition). If for some reason you have to add a calculation field for this to work, you can always set the bind type of that field to null and it won't affect your feature service. Again, I haven't tested if this will work, but it may be worth a shot.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can display the text just fine.  My issue is Survey123 will not let me highlight and copy via Android (so the tablet built in copy/paste).  I want to highlight and copy the text to say MS Word on the tablet.  Copy seems to be blocked and not sure why.

thanks

0 Kudos
PhilipQueen
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I was suggesting using text as a workaround, since you said you were able to copy from there (even though it isn't ideal). Then using a calculation would prevent your worry of users accidentally deleting or modifying the text and it being gone.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It was text but I had it as Read Only.  This may work.  Thanks

I still vote for allowing anything to be copied in the app.

thanks