Select to view content in your preferred language

My question type in survey 123 is wrong

Jump to solution
07-17-2021 08:46 AM
BillBlythe
New Contributor III

I am using the "note" question in survey 123 connect and I just found out that it will not do what I need. 

This is my question that I have built in the XLSForm

note question.PNG

Compliant or Not Compliant will not show up in my data export into excel.

this is what shows up in the excel.

ISA.PNG

How can I get either Compliant or Not Compliant to be marked in excel?  I am wanting to use this a lot in the survey to make collection quick and to show is something right or not.

Thank you

Todd

todd@beneficialdesigns.com

27 Replies
AllisonHollier
New Contributor III

Post your syntax and maybe we can figure it out.

And did you see @ThomasHamill 's post?  You might need to do the nested select option if you want to make sure it doesn't default to the second option if nothing is selected. 

BillBlythe
New Contributor III

Allison

I thank you so much for all of your help, you have been great.  I am new with this so how do I post my syntax?

Todd

BillBlythe
New Contributor III

This works, it just gives me a "Not Compliant" all the time until I hit "yes" that makes it Compliant.

I do not know if this helps.  I am using what you sent and it is working, but when I hit "no" other Not Compliant comes up because the question is not being answered. To show this it will be pic 3.

BillBlythe_0-1626737604152.png

BillBlythe_1-1626737665167.png

BillBlythe_2-1626737945747.png

AllisonHollier
New Contributor III

No worries, Bill.  YOU WILL THINK THIS IS FUN AT SOME POINT, I SWEAR!  lol

Try @ThomasHamill 's suggestion and put this in your Compliancebcp field calculation instead of mine.  He was right.  Don't panic, if it doesn't work you can put the old one back, you know it works.  🙂  This should fix the "not complaint" all the time issue.  (Thanks, Thomas, you taught me something!)  lol

if(selected(${ClearSpaceOverlap},'yes'),'Not Compliant',if(selected(${ClearSpaceOverlap},'no'),'Compliant',"))

BillBlythe
New Contributor III

Hi Allison,

Thank you for the words to keep me positive.  🙂 

I have tried @ThomasHamill suggestion and still unable to make it work, have sent him xlsform and hoping he can see what my issue is.  

Will keep you updated.

Todd Ackerman

Beneficial Designs

0 Kudos
BillBlythe
New Contributor III

Does the relevant box input need to be different then what I have?  ${ClearSpaceProvided}="Yes"

AllisonHollier
New Contributor III

Ding ding.  I bet that's it!  It's only going to use that question if the answer is yes.  Take it out and see.  Bet it works! 

But you probably need to do the nested repeats anyway, to ensure a null value doesn't screw it up.  Otherwise, you could just keep it simple and make the yes/no question a required answer so that it has to be either yes or no and no nulls allowed.

BillBlythe
New Contributor III

If I leave the relevant blank then it works for yes - compliant,  otherwise it says Not Compliant.  Is says Not Compliant until I hit "yes" then it changes.

Should it be that way and is it ok to not have anything in the relevant box?

ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

@BillBlythe, try using the following expression in the Calculation column for the text field you named Compliancebcp:

if(selected(${ClearSpaceOverlap},'yes'),'Not Compliant',if(selected(${ClearSpaceOverlap},'no'),'Compliant',"))

This way, the Compliancebcp text field will remain empty if the user doesn't select either 'yes' or 'no.'  In other words, if the user skips the first question about the ClearSpaceOverlap or leaves it blank, the compliance status indicator will show neither "Compliant" nor "Not Compliant," but will remain blank

I don't think you need anything in the relevant box for Compliancebcpunless you want this question to appear only for a "yes" answer of ClearSpaceProvided.

Is that how you wanted it to be configured?

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
BillBlythe
New Contributor III

This is the error I get every time.:(

BillBlythe_0-1626743750517.png