Multiple Geometry Features in Survey123?

07-08-2020 09:16 AM
JuliaSurkis
New Contributor II

I am creating a survey where it would be extremely helpful if the users could add/draw data for multiple feature layers from a web map (i.e. one question drawing a polygon for perimeter and another question drawing polygons for structures). When I try to do this in XLS I get an error message when I hit publish that only one geometry is allowed per table. Is there any way around this? 

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Julia,

Yes, only one geometry type (point, line or polygon) is supported per layer. This is a limitation of ArcGIS feature layers, not Survey123. 

If you would like to use multiple geometries in one layer (one survey) you can use the "null" field type on additional geopoint/geotrace/geoshape questions, but be aware the geometry will not be stored, you have to pull the data out into stored questions. Otherwise you can add repeats to your survey, so that you have a parent layer which is a point, and then in a related layer via a repeat, you have line or polygon geometry.

Regards,

Phil.

YuliaMamonova
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Can you suggest if it's possible to create several polygons in 1 map question without repeat? Because with repeat the employee needs to open the map, find the place where the polygon has to be (it's not tied to employee's location), draw the polygon,then click on repeat, find the same place again, create one more polygon etc. It would be helpful if the employee was able to open the map once and create as many polygons as they need.

Thank you,

Yulia

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @YuliaMamonova,

No, it is not possible to create multiple polygons in one map question, without a repeat. Each repeat record is a new feature in that layer, which means you need to open the map question related to that repeat record. As Survey123 is form centric based around survey forms and related records, you are creating/editing individual records, not creating/editing many feature on a single map.

Regards,

Phil.

YuliaMamonova
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Philip,

Thank you, that's what I thought. Map Viewer Beta is helpful in adding multiple features and completing the form with feature attributes right away, though there is no way to add an attachment, even though it's in the layer schema. May be they'll fix it in later updates.

0 Kudos
K_Wa
by
New Contributor II

Phil - Could you elaborate on "you have to pull the data out into stored questions"?

I've got a survey set up with three geometries - two are set to null so it will publish - but I'd like to understand how to preserve the two extra geometries when they get used.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I ran into this with a legacy multipart feature class as well.  One idea was to use the make a copy option so all the questions copy, then the user can just change the geometry and send.  Then as long as they all have the same ids I can group or relate them all.

The other idea floated was to create the geometry in Collector, all with the same id.  Then launch 123 passing the Id.  The forms be just tables that relate to the geometry in a 1:M.  

Both have pluses and minus.  Hope it helps.