It is possible to use pulldata or indexed-repeat in instance_name?

01-03-2023 05:50 PM
JJ_Reyes
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to access either parent data or data inside a repeat to label my inbox records. I've tried using indexed-repeat and pulldata in the instance_name field, but neither seem to work.

Is it possible to access related tables either "up" or "down" to label the inbox records?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you mean pulldata inside the same form, then yes that is not the way to do it.

Here is a simple example on our photos form.  Our dashboards and such all filter by State and Project to help our many crews filter down to just their items.  We could do a bunch of arcade for it but then it is really hard to filter on Arcade fields.  Also we use EvaluationID and not globalid (horrible choice) for all our relates later in SQL so we need this key in all tables. So we just add the fields we need at every level we need them, and it all becomes easy.

Main Parent section of form

DougBrowning_0-1674053077515.png

Repeat child section of form.  Note the simple calc to bring in the fields I need in the repeat.

DougBrowning_1-1674053120107.png

Now is this double storing data - yes.  Is that not great - yes.  Is a pain to fix if they IDs are wrong - yes.  Is it the only way offline - yes.  In the end does it work well - yes!  

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
JJ_Reyes
Occasional Contributor

Totally makes sense when parent and child data are in the form. My issues comes into play because I only have the child data in the form. I'm calling in the parent data (via pulldata @layer). I went back and forth about doing it that way. I was having trouble displaying only the most recently entered repeat to the field users.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When doing this I tend to use a launch URL from Field Maps  or a web map that passes all the info I need into the child form.  Workflow is use Field Maps to spatially navigate to the parent and get yourself there (Field Maps is better at the spatial side).  Then tap the link to launch the URL and pass the keys and other info.  At the point they are then linked.

To display the most recent that is build into the new map viewer now.  You can show the last 1-10 records and sort them.  May be an option for you.  Me I have to use old map viewer so we can just hit show related and it works.  You can also use Arcade and Feature set functions to pull any info you want from the children into the parent.  I do this where I actually pull from a parent in a child then pass that info to the form.

We are always offline so pulldata is not an option for us.  So not much experience there.

Hope that helps

JJ_Reyes
Occasional Contributor

It does - thank you very much. The users really like the inbox list, but maybe there is some combination of using that and your workflow. Very helpful!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can create a link to launch a form in a form even.  So use the inbox to get the parent - make it read only even better - then have a launch child in there.  

0 Kudos
JJ_Reyes
Occasional Contributor

Interesting idea......!