Select to view content in your preferred language

Issue with GlobalID field generated in Survey123 not indexed uniquely

Jump to solution
03-08-2024 02:32 PM
AK-SavannahThomasDataProjects
New Contributor II

I'm developing a workflow that moves seasonal data collected in a Survey123 Connect form into ArcGIS Pro, and updates back into ArcGIS Online once the seasonal data is merged with full dataset.

I'm having issues with the GlobalID for my parent form because it is not indexed as unique. 

This is my current workflow summarized and where the issue is: 

1) download FGDB of seasonal survey data from AGOL into an export folder on my computer 

2) Open Pro project that contains an exisiting .gdb that the seasonal data will append to and update 

3) Append the seasonal FGDB data to the corresponding tables and layers in the .gdb - I use the Append tool to match FGDB to .gdb items - I turn off the Preserve GlobalIDs because this error stops the tool.

AKSavannahThomasDataProjects_0-1709936860221.png

• this works fine for the repeat tables since the parentglobalID is retained 
  • this causes an issue for updating my parent feature class which must retain the gloablID that all the repeat tables reference to determine their relationship to a point. 

Note: 

The parent feature class in my .gdb only has 1 GUID and the seaonal data I am trying to append has unique values in the GUID field - BUT the field does not have a unique index. This is my issue and I cannot seem to figure out how to fix this. 

All the items (tables and feature classes) do not have a unique index even before I move them into the Pro project (fresh out of the export folder). 

Any ideas? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor II

I created a new feature class by importing the schema from the parent table, then I changed the data type of the globalID field from gloablid -> GUID. Appending while maintaining gloablid worked fine after this! 

Thanks for the idea. I needed the globalid for the parent table to transfer so everything is working smoothly now. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
New Contributor II

Hey Christopher thanks for the idea, I was unaware of that tool. 

Though it doesn't seem to fix the issue. The Add Attribute Index tool runs but I get the same error when trying to append data. 

I don't understand why my GlobalID field would have a non-unique index? Isn't the purpose of the GUID field to be a unique value in your data? I've not worked with data collected using Survey123 Connect before and I have not had this issue with appending data before. So could how the GlobalID is stored in S123 be the issue? 

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you check the 'unique' parameter when adding the index? Are your globalids unique (e.g. not duplicated from an earlier append)?

GUID/globalid type fields don't have to be unique e.g. parentglobalid is the M in 1-M relationship.

I assume the survey export is correct as it needs a globalid-parentglobalid fields and relationship class to work as a repeat.

You can share more about how you created the target feature class/tables and what the current state of the globalid/guid fields are.

Or you can just create new empty datasets (i.e. from the layer export) then append your existing data into it (maintain globalids) + continue your workflows.

New Contributor II

I created a new feature class by importing the schema from the parent table, then I changed the data type of the globalID field from gloablid -> GUID. Appending while maintaining gloablid worked fine after this! 

Thanks for the idea. I needed the globalid for the parent table to transfer so everything is working smoothly now. 

0 Kudos