iphone picture format

02-21-2018 11:44 AM
MatthewMcBurney
New Contributor III

I have a survey that I was using on my iPhone 6+. I was able to add pictures to my survey if I took the pictures while using the Survey. However, if I wanted to add a picture to the survey from my photo library (i.e. I had already taken the picture) I would get an error and the survey would not upload. 

Is there a limitation on the picture format and\or size that would prevent Survey 123 from accepting iphone 6+ Live Photos?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

I'm able to submit Live Photos from my test phone.  This shouldn't be affecting your phone, but Survey123 doesn't support HEIC images that were introduced for iPhone 7/7+ and later with iOS 11.

0 Kudos
MatthewMcBurney
New Contributor III

I’m sorry. I had my phone version wrong – it is a iPhone 7+ and it is the HEIC format.

Is there any plans to adopt this version into supported formats?

Matthew McBurney

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

We do plan on supporting HEIC in the future.  In the interim, you can set your phone to save JPEGs by going to 'Settings > Camera > Formats' and selecting 'Most Compatible'.

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

Good morning James,

Does Survey 123 support HEIC today?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Adam,

Reading HEIC photos from the camera gallery was introduced in Survey123 3.0 (June 2018).  Note that it will convert the HEIC photos to JPEG for storage as attachments.

0 Kudos