How to troubleshoot Survey123 error: "Failed to submit. String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated."

11-20-2019 07:44 AM
KatieGodding
New Contributor III

I created a survey that has a select_multiple option in the beginning. For all of the choices to that select_multiple option I have follow-up questions that I've used the 'relevant' field for so that only the ones selected show up. I used the 'selected(${name},'choice') function in the relevant field to do this. When one of my choices is selected a multiline text field shows up. I set that text field's bind::esri:fieldLength field to 10000 in the xlsx form. However, when this text field receives an input that is greater than 255 characters, it throw the error: "Failed to submit. String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated." It's only for this choice. All other choices for the select_multiple option in the beginning of the survey are set up exactly the same, and all allow responses up to the 10000 character limit I assigned in the xlsx form. 

Why is this error occurring in the first place and how can I rectify it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like the Feature service you are sending the data to is still set to 255.  Is this a existing service or something?  Check the service end point and see what size it is.

0 Kudos
KatieGodding
New Contributor III

The length of the field in the feature service is 10000:

KirkKirchner1
New Contributor II

Hi, I am having this same issue. Was this ever resolved?

0 Kudos