how to set bind::esri:fieldType as null?

04-02-2018 04:57 PM
LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

I saw this in the Survey123 help, which is exactly what I need: 

The bind::esri:fieldType column also accepts the null value, which will cause the question to be omitted from the feature service created. While the question will still be present in your survey and behave normally, the answer will not be submitted to the feature service and will not be present when reviewing responses. This is ideal for calculations, constraints, or other questions that need to be present for presentation purposes but aren't needed in the results. The following question types do not support a null field type: select_one or other, select_multiple or other, image, hidden

But I cannot figure out how to do so!  Null is not an option in the dropdown, and when I type in "null" it's not accepted.  Please advise, thanks.
Lynn

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lynn,

Please ensure you are using the latest version of the Advanced Template available in Connect. If you have a previously created survey, prior to this new parameter being added, you will need to copy everything in your current xlsx form to a new copy of the advanced template, and update it in your survey folder. Ensure when you copy and paste the data you only paste values, to not overwrite the formatting and settings/lookups in the new template.

Phil.

LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you!

Lynn Berni

Watershed Planner

Salt Lake County Watershed Planning & Restoration

lberni@slco.org<mailto:lberni@slco.org> (385) 468-6643 http://slco.org/watershed/

AndrewHargreaves2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Philip Wilson

Thanks for this info. I'm trying to create a form with a select_one that is set to bind::esri:fieldType = null. Unsurprisingly, after reading the info above, it's actually creating the field in my feature service. Is there any way around this? I don't want that select_one to result in a field.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

Select_one and select_mutliple are supported with null field type and should work the same as other field types. Only the "select_one or other" and "select_multiple or other" are not supported, as they create an additional text field for the other response.

Phil.