How to Generate Report of Only Selected Repeat

Jump to solution
4 weeks ago
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I have a feature layer with two related tables, with a Survey123 form built in connect on top of them. There can be multiple records in each table related to the parent. In the Survey123 web app, they are shown as a pair of tabs next to the parent layer:

ZachBodenner_0-1715374045661.png

I have set up some reports to run against the related tables (repeats). At the moment they are print fine, but they will only generate the lowest OID record related to the parent, no matter what is selected in the Survey123 web app interface. Following some other instructional Community posts, I added the following parameter to the beginning of the page.

${#UASPreFlightChecklist | resultRecordCount:1}

I used this because I would like to be able to just generate one Report page per repeat(as opposed to a Report where all related repeats are compiled on separate pages of the same document). Is there not a way to specify, either in the parameters of the report or in the web interface, that the result should only have selected repeats? I would have thought that the "Selected records only" option would've covered it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

"...I would like to be able to just generate one Report page per repeat... as opposed to a Report where all related repeats are compiled on separate pages of the same document"

Short answer is "no", you can't do that.

Longer answer is "yes", you can do that... However, you will need to set up Feature Reports for each and every possibly repeat. If users can enter 100 items into the repeat, then you need 100 feature reports. Also, you'd need a method of running all of those separate feature reports. Automations could help, but if you are doing this manually, it will be one at a time.

I'd just print them all in a single document and then break that up as necessary.

I'm curious of your use-case for this?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

"...I would like to be able to just generate one Report page per repeat... as opposed to a Report where all related repeats are compiled on separate pages of the same document"

Short answer is "no", you can't do that.

Longer answer is "yes", you can do that... However, you will need to set up Feature Reports for each and every possibly repeat. If users can enter 100 items into the repeat, then you need 100 feature reports. Also, you'd need a method of running all of those separate feature reports. Automations could help, but if you are doing this manually, it will be one at a time.

I'd just print them all in a single document and then break that up as necessary.

I'm curious of your use-case for this?

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Sure, so I set up a polygon feature class representing drone flight areas, with two repeats, one is called a pre-flight checklist and one is a risk assessment. For each flight area there can be more than one drone, each of which needs to have a pre-flight checklist filled out. Each flight can also have multiple drone operators, each of which needs a risk assessment filled out. My end users want to be able to print out their own risk assessment and individual pre-flight checklists.

I think breaking up the document can be a fine workaround, even if it is inconvenient. Seems like it would be a good feature enhancement though, I can't imagine I'm the only one who would like to print off just the thing they click on.

Edit for more context: that workaround would be dependent upon being able to have a page break after each repeat, which I haven't been super successful trying. Do you have any experience with that?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

If you want to drop your DOCX file here, I could take a quick look.

Regarding the set-up, ya that makes sense now.

Have you considered setting up your repeats as separate surveys? What I mean is something like:

1. Publish separate surveys for the pre-flight and RA.
  2. Include a field in both those surveys to link back to the parent survey (perhaps a hidden uuid field?)
  3. Users could start collecting a new feature, and launch into the related surveys, one at a time, to fill in their specific details.
  4. When back in the office, they would be able to "click on their entry and print just it".

Using URL parameters, you could include as much or as little info from the main survey as you'd like. Also, if you didn't already see, Esri will be adding a dedicated "report site" for end users to print reports. It sounds like it will compliment workflows like this much better than the current site.

Hopefully that makes sense and I didn't ramble too much. It's still early here.

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes I definitely did consider adding them as separate surveys and that's not out of the question as a final result. Still going through the testing procedure. There are pros and cons to both approaches: It would be nice to get around the issues we've been talking about, but it means more links and more to remember for folks who otherwise have no ESRI-ecosystem tools. Being able to pop open a flight once and add everything on the same page with the repeats could be use (though on the other hand, I don't actually know that yet since they haven't seen any of my tests). 

What would be really great is if there were URL parameters to open only the repeat portion of the survey, which to my knowledge there are not.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

You are correct, there unfortunately aren't URL parameters for repeats.

0 Kudos