Select to view content in your preferred language

How to allow the entry of decimals in a Survey123 decimal field

03-28-2018 10:35 AM
MattRapke
New Contributor II

I am trying to publish my first Survey123 survey that contains a decimal type field. I created the survey using Survey123 Connect, and everything worked fine in the form view on Connect. I published the survey and tried to do a test run to make sure that all the fields worked properly. When I copy-pasted a decimal number into the decimal field, the form converted the decimal to a comma. For example, if I copy 3.92 and paste it into the form, it shows up as 3,93. On the back-end the data is entered properly as a decimal, but the survey will be conducted in Canada and the users will be confused by the comma. Furthermore, I am unable to manually type a "." value into the decimal type field instead of a ",". Is there a setting I am missing to prevent this conversion and allow "." decimal entries?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matt,

My apologies, I was under the impression that the issue was with the field app.  The issue with the web form is known (BUG-000111251) and is being addressed in the next release of Survey123 (due out shortly).

0 Kudos
MattRapke
New Contributor II

Thanks James. I was hoping to have this survey go live in about 2 weeks. Do you expect the release to be out within that time frame? If not then I will need to include a hint to let the users know they need to enter a comma.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the release is scheduled to come out early next week.

0 Kudos
NicolasRoger
Occasional Contributor

hi James. I also have an issue with decimal fields on a web form (the survey was created with Connect). My problem is that the field won't accept either "." or "," in the field at all. It works fine when I test it on the desktop Survey viewer.

I am using Survey123 connect version 2.7.72 which seems the latest one.

EDIT: I am using firefox.

0 Kudos
MarcosPereyra
New Contributor

Hi James. I have an issue with decimal fields on a web form (the survey was created with Connect). My problem is that the field won't accept either "." or "," in the field at all. It works fine in desktop Survey viewer and  Survey123 App (android).

I am using Survey123 connect version 3.0.142.; Firefox Chrome & IE

Thank you

0 Kudos
FaranZafar1
New Contributor

Hello,

I have integrated collector for ArcGIS with survey123 while configuring the pop up. The lat/long are coming from collector to survey123 form. When i use this integration from the laptop through the survey123 desktop app (attached image1), it gives me complete value of the lat/long after decimal (attached image2). The complete values after decimal are very important, in order to have the exact location.

Issue: 

When i use the same workflow in the mobile (both iOS and android), 2 digits comes after decimal from collector to survey123 mobile app. Therefore the location is not accurate.(image3image1image2image3)

Kindly let me know how to fix this as same form is showing complete values in the laptop survey123 app while in mobile app it shows only two values after decimal. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
KevinThompson
New Contributor III

This is the exact problem I am having anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try changing the number of decimal places in the Web Map that feeds Collector.  It is in Pop up then Configure Attributes.

KevinThompson
New Contributor III

Hey Doug,

This worked but I can now only have up to 8 decimal places and the coordinates go much higher than that.

Here is the thread I created:

Survey123 Mobile App Truncating Number Fields? 

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you maybe publish this as a service via ArcMap?  I wonder if changing it in ArcMap before publishing would do it?  Total guess.

0 Kudos