Geotag Survey123 photos (attachments)?

01-24-2022 10:43 AM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor II

Hello all, 

Do photos attached through Survey123 store their x, y location within the photo?

I have a scenario that I download all the attachments at once and publish them as a point layer using photos' x and y information. 

I've been working by linking a geopoint question with attachments in many other surveys, but in this new project, users will pick up the point o indicate a rough location then will collect photos around the point. We expect photos come from in the big area, so I hope to be able to catch each photos x, y location and perhaps map them separately rather than using geopoint xy information.

I tested creating a feature layer from survey photos (below) but it generated an empty point layer. It looked like the photos did not include any x, y information.

KerryKang_0-1643049724433.png

There will be multiple photo questions so I hope to avoid creating related tables. Any tips?

Thank you.

Kerry

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kerry

You can extract the coordinates of an image by using a pulldata function.  For example:

pulldata("@exif", ${image1}, "GPSLatitude")

pulldata("@exif", ${image1}, "GPSLongitude")

The caveat on this is that if you are going to use previous images from the file option, in iOS you must have the Format type set to 'Most Compatible' under the camera setttings.

Hope that helps

Cheers, Chris

0 Kudos
KerryKang

Hello Chris, thank you for your suggestion. what I am looking for is though having that x, y information within the photo file itself, not as attributes. Ideally, I can create x, y points with photos after bulk download without any attributes. Have you done anything like that? Another challenge for me is that I don't know how many photos will be captured in each image question as I allow up to 10 photos.

Cheers, 

Kerry

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kerry

The exif (GPS) information should come across with the photo when you export it.  If you look at the Properties and the Details tab of the photo, you will see the Lats and Longs.

It is possible to  write a python script to batch export attached photos to a folder.

You can then use the GeoTagged Photos To Points tool in arcgis pro to create a point feature class of those photos.

I just tested this with some photos from one of my surveys and it worked.

If the exif is empty as you suggested in your post, and you using iOS, you might need to check your photo format settings as I described.

Cheers, Chris

KerryKang

Thank you Chris! I appreciate for your comments. 

0 Kudos