Geopoint showing two locations points in Survey123 data results

08-18-2020 11:37 AM
ElizabethHovsepian
New Contributor III

I have a geopoint question within a repeat. After the survey is submitted and looking at the entries in the Survey123 data results, there are 2 geopoints on the map for the location instead of just one. There is only 1 entry (no repeats done). 

I have another survey with similar scenario (many repeats), but is correct...only has one geopoint per repeat/location.  I don't know if it is what the user may be doing or way the survey is set up.  I authored the survey in connect version 3.9.120. thanks, Elizabeth

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Elizabeth Hovsepian‌, 

Thank you for passing along the XLSForm I have tested on my end and have been able to reproduce the same behavior. 

If you take a look at the hosted feature layer associated with the survey you will see that there are two point geometry layers: 

This is expected because if no geometry type is specified for the main layer associated with the survey (the questions outside of the repeat) Survey123 will default to a geopoint. Survey responses in Survey123 will also always attempt to capture a device's location even if a geopoint question is not included. That is why if you publish a simple survey with only a few questions all responses will be located at (0,0) if Survey123 can't identify the devices location. 

Please use this link for reference: Geopoints—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation 

The offset that you see is likely from GPS variability being a few meters apart. 

If your geopoint needs to be in a repeat and you don't want a geopoint outside of the repeat I would suggest creating a group that only contains the geopoint and make it relevant based on a date that will never be selected (01/01/1901 for example). If you don't want any location captured you can make the bind:esri:fieldType set to null and that will default to (0,0). Otherwise you can set the geopoint in the group to be equal to the geopoint in the repeat so they both show the same location. 

Thank you, 

Zach  

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
ElizabethHovsepian
New Contributor III

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your quick response.  Is there by chance my colleague and I can get on a Microsoft Teams meeting with you to take a look at this issue with us?  Thanks.

Elizabeth

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Elizabeth Hovsepian‌, 

Thank you for reaching out! For sure feel free to email me at ZSutherby@esri.com and we can schedule a time that works best. 

Thank you, 

Zach 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos