Geopoint as UTMs?

Jump to solution
07-01-2016 02:02 PM
PJJamwal
New Contributor II

Hi,  I am very new to Survey 123. Can I record my Geopoint as UTMs instead of DMS and DD?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

When you export the data to FileGeodatabase or Shapefile, the coordinates of your points  are encoded within the SHAPE field. If you want to get the coordinates out, I would recommend you use ArcGIS Pro as follows:

1. Add your Survey123 layer/s into a new Map in ArcGIS Pro
  2. Open the Toolbox and activate the Add Geometry Attributes tool
  3. Execute the tool passing the Survey123 layer as an input, plus the output coordinate system and checking the option to add the X and Y columns

Attaching screenshot for clarity. After executing, you should see the Point_X and Point_Y columns added and their values populated accordingly.

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. Survey123 for ArcGIS always persists coordinates as Lat/Lon but once you have your data captured you can export it into a File Geodatabase or Shapefile and then project it to UTM using ArcGIS for  Desktop (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).

PJJamwal
New Contributor II

Hi Ismael,

Thanks for your reply.

I exported it into a GDB but I cannot see the Lat/Long columns or fields, however Lat/Long fields are present in CSV files. Is there any way to get Lat/Long fields in FC too?

Thanks-PJ

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

When you export the data to FileGeodatabase or Shapefile, the coordinates of your points  are encoded within the SHAPE field. If you want to get the coordinates out, I would recommend you use ArcGIS Pro as follows:

1. Add your Survey123 layer/s into a new Map in ArcGIS Pro
  2. Open the Toolbox and activate the Add Geometry Attributes tool
  3. Execute the tool passing the Survey123 layer as an input, plus the output coordinate system and checking the option to add the X and Y columns

Attaching screenshot for clarity. After executing, you should see the Point_X and Point_Y columns added and their values populated accordingly.

Untitled.png

PJJamwal
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your help. I did it in ArcMap and it worked fine. I was wondering if you use any script to upload the FC into your Master GDB.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcMap will certainly work as well! Well done!

If I were to move the data into another geodatabase, I would go with either the  Copy Features or Append geoprocessing tools. You can run these tools manually, or as part of a python script.

PJJamwal
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply.

I have another question. I want to record Scientific Name of the species in the geodatabase but in the name column under “choices”, the Values (in our case Scientific Name) do not accept spaces. There should be a gap between first name and the last name. So, is there any way I can separate the first and last name in the geodatabase? I entered the Scientific names in name as well as in label column but still scientific names are not separated in the downloaded FC. Is there any solution for that?SN2.PNG

SN3.PNG

0 Kudos