Geometry features go missing when a record is opened for edit from the Outbox

Jump to solution
04-17-2022 02:07 PM
CarlBeyerhelm
Occasional Contributor

Field users capture a point, line, or polygon feature as part of a site visit.  But, if they re-open a site visit survey for edit from the Outbox, the geometry feature is not present.  See the images below for an illustration of the situation.

The OriginalDataEntry.jpg image illustrates the situation just before the user submits the site visit to the Outbox.  In this example, a line feature has been captured.

The EditFromOutbox.jpg image illustrates that the line feature is missing when that survey is re-opened for edit from the Outbox.

Why aren't the geometries persisting when a submitted survey is opened for edit from the Outbox??

I'm using Version 3.14.242, and the geometries are captured as repeats nested within another repeat.  The geometry widgets are exposed when users select a shape type in a prior question.

begin repeat
begin group
end group
begin repeat
geopoint
end repeat
begin repeat
geotrace
end repeat
begin repeat
geoshape
end repeat
end repeat

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarlBeyerhelm
Occasional Contributor

I've remedied my issue, guided by Ismael's question about the use of relevant expressions and his timely blog titled Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: hidden, relevant and body::esri:visible.

Instead of my original use of a relevant expression for both the repeat and the geometry question, I revised to use a body::esri:visible expression for the repeat and a relevant expression for the geometry question.

See the attached XLSForm excerpts that illustrate the remedy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

I cannot reproduce the behavior you describe. I wonder if you have expressions set in the relevant column that could be clearing the geometry value when you reopen the record.

Could you share the XLSForm?

0 Kudos
CarlBeyerhelm
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I've attached the XLSForms file for your reference.  The relevant lines are 67 - 75.

As you'll see, each of the 3 geometry widgets are made relevant by the user's choice in the SHAPE_TYPE question, but I didn't expect that would clear an existing geometry.

0 Kudos
CarlBeyerhelm
Occasional Contributor

I've remedied my issue, guided by Ismael's question about the use of relevant expressions and his timely blog titled Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: hidden, relevant and body::esri:visible.

Instead of my original use of a relevant expression for both the repeat and the geometry question, I revised to use a body::esri:visible expression for the repeat and a relevant expression for the geometry question.

See the attached XLSForm excerpts that illustrate the remedy.

0 Kudos