Form submission URL to JUST the related (relevant) table in a form's feature layer?

Jump to solution
07-12-2018 12:06 PM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to have a form just submit to the related relevant table within a feature layer created by a form?

The scenario I am trying to make happen involves insect trapping...

1. A "Trap Deployment" form collects site location and information when a trap is deployed.
  2. A second from called "Trap Visit" with the same submission url allows the user to open previously submitted deployments via the inbox and view site data collected with the "Trap Deployment" form and then add information about the visit within a repeat (related table) called Visit.  One of the fields in the repeat is a Specimen ID bar code.
  3. Containers containing specimens are then sent to our lab where staff need to identify and update the related table with the species name and a few other fields contained in the feature layer. I am trying (without success so far) to create a third form that will be opened from the inbox where our lab technicians can search the inbox for the correct bar code and update the Visit record with species info.

Thanks,
Brent

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrentKinal1

I finally found the answer!  You need to define the form_id under settings in the .xlsx file to be that of the related table (I had been trying to specify this in the submission URL). More discussion on how to do this can be found here: Survey123 working with a table that is in a AGOL service with a related featureLayer 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would make each visit a new form instead.  Many advantages like editor tracking on each visit, GPS on each visit, no issues with different techs on each visit, etc. 

Use a Primary key of some sort with a relationship class to connect them back to the main point.  I suggest loading the trap locations in Collector then launch Survey123 passing the Primary Key.  Many advantages to this as well like directions to, etc.

I do this now with 9 forms all launched from each point - with 9 relationships back.  Works slick.

For the lab techs I would just have them edit the table in AGOL.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1

Thanks for your suggestions Doug, maybe in future forms but the ship has already sailed on this one, the first two parts have been implemented and have been working great, the inbox is able to handle multiple forestry techs and is easily searchable.... For the third part I was trying to go the AGOL route but I need to search on the Specimen ID which is in the related table and I have not been able to figure out search and edit directly in the table which isn't all that user friendly.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

All those people touching one form would scare me but like you said late now.

On part 3 I agree that table support in AGOL and really all Esri products is quite poor.  My first idea is to set the search settings to the table but it will only allow that on FCs (boo!). 

I did see though that if you open a attribute table of a table in AGOL map there is a Filter option in the attribute table box.  That will filter than they can edit right there in the table.

You could also use the Items page data tab with a browser search but that is hard when the table gets long.

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1

The trap visit form displays all the data previously collected but in read-only format, the only thing that can be edited is adding a new repeat, so I am not too worried about things going wrong, but I do see some advantages with your methodology especially with the update/editing workflow I am aiming for. I'll have to think about it for future forms. I may have to give up and just have the lab techs update things in the table but it is not a very elegant or user friendly approach, if my idea of doing this in S123 doesn't pan out I may just have them edit in ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
BrentKinal1

I finally found the answer!  You need to define the form_id under settings in the .xlsx file to be that of the related table (I had been trying to specify this in the submission URL). More discussion on how to do this can be found here: Survey123 working with a table that is in a AGOL service with a related featureLayer