Feature Report File Size Issue Since Update

Jump to solution
02-25-2022 01:37 PM
awillemsmitech
New Contributor

We are utilizing the feature report export in the survey123 website for a project to receive a word document with form answers and photos.  There are generally a large number of photos in each report so the exports can get quite large.

Previously the largest of these would be anywhere between 500 - 2500kb which was manageable for output transmittal.

After the recent update, exports of the exact same reports are coming out at 18,000 - 20,000kb.  This renders the file unable to be attached to other systems for transport.  Nothing has changed with the feature template or the process used to generate the reports.

Attached is a photo of a report with the original file size taken a few weeks ago, and the exact same report generated today with over 8 times the file size.  

Is there any way to determine what is causing these large file sizes?  We did notice that if we right click the photos in the old report, the default save option was .jpg and on the new reports the default is .png.  Is the update to Survey123 forcing the attached photos to convert to a larger png?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JodyZhengLiu
Esri Contributor

Hi @awillemsmitech @DerrickWestoby ,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes this is related to the recent update because we introduced the ability to rotate images in the report. As images might be rotated to any angle, extra edges might be created and we have converted all image to PNGs to make the extra edges transparent. 

We will have another enhancement to keep those non-rotated images in .jpg to avoid the issues you are experiencing. The expected update time would be late March.

Thanks,

Jody Zheng Liu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @awillemsmitech

If possible would we be able to obtain a copy of the XLSForm and Report template used for testing on our end? 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

I just checked a handful of my generated reports and it looks like the same on my end (with docx outputs, not pdf). 

Prior to feb 2022, word documents were 2mb-5.5mb.   The 4x that I checked from this week were 9mb-12mb. 

All include a repeat with photo attachments, usually 5x-20x photos. 

0 Kudos
JodyZhengLiu
Esri Contributor

Hi @awillemsmitech @DerrickWestoby ,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes this is related to the recent update because we introduced the ability to rotate images in the report. As images might be rotated to any angle, extra edges might be created and we have converted all image to PNGs to make the extra edges transparent. 

We will have another enhancement to keep those non-rotated images in .jpg to avoid the issues you are experiencing. The expected update time would be late March.

Thanks,

Jody Zheng Liu

0 Kudos
awillemsmitech
New Contributor

Thank you for the quick answer.  I'm glad there will be a way to force images in .jpg in the future.  Until then we can use a workaround, but having an enhancement will shorten the workflow considerably.

@ZacharySutherby with this answer will you still need the XLS and Report Template?

0 Kudos
MollyBurton
New Contributor III

Hi there, 

Was this resolved on the 3/22/22 release? I don't see it on the list of 'what's new' What's new in Survey123—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation)

Thank you!

0 Kudos