Excluding a value in a list

Jump to solution
05-01-2017 10:55 AM
Danielle_Papineau
Occasional Contributor II

I have two survey questions that reference the same list_name values .  I wanted to know if it was possible to exclude the question #1 answer from the list appearing for selection for question #2, so that the same value cannot be accidentally entered twice (select_multiple [list_name] will not work for my purposes).  The answer to question #1 will change, so I need my list for question #2 to be variable.  Both questions are currently set to "select_one".

So if my questions were:

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?  Chocolate

Do you have a second favorite?  Yes

What is your second favorite ice cream flavor?  Strawberry (cannot choose chocolate again)

Is this possible or is there a better way to do this?  (Note: This has to be appended to an existing geodatabase, so it's necessary that the questions/answers remain separate and match the existing schema/field names.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Danielle,

The mobile app currently does not support the syntax needed for this; the next generation web app does support this.

In the choice_list of your second select question, you would need

name != ${question1}

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Danielle,

The mobile app currently does not support the syntax needed for this; the next generation web app does support this.

In the choice_list of your second select question, you would need

name != ${question1}

Danielle_Papineau

Thanks for the quick response, James!

What do you mean by "choice_list"?  Is this the same as "choice_filter"?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

yep, choice_filter - my bad

0 Kudos
Danielle_Papineau

Thanks!

0 Kudos
FinnianO_Connor

Hi James Tedrick‌, is it still the case that the mobile app wont support this logic? I have the exact same requirement and am trying to build the logic into the form in Survey123 Connect however I am getting an error when converting the XLSFrom.

This is what my form looks like. Highlighted in red is where I'm trying to exclude the previous value entered.

Cheers,

Finnian

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Finnian,

Yes, the choice_filter at this time time does not support "not equals".  The and part would work, however.

0 Kudos