Error on saving Collaboration settings changes.

01-05-2017 12:19 PM
TedVint
New Contributor II

I'm very excited about the latest Survey123 update, especially the ability to give other stakeholders access to report on our surveys!

When I went to give it a try, though, I found that trying to save any changes to settings in the Collaborate tab in Survey123 throw a 'Failed to Save {}' error. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ted,

Can you make sure that you have tested the latest update of the website (please see the attachment).Collaborate page

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm not sure when you did the test, or if you have cached an older version of the page (press Ctrl F5 to refresh) - so it would be good to confirm the issue occurs in the latest version of the site too.

Please let us know.

Many thanks

John

TedVint
New Contributor II

Hi John,

While the website looked the same as your attachment above, it did work better for me once I did the Ctrl-F5 refresh.

I had one of our other survey publishers here try it, as well, and some of her surveys took 2 or 3 attempts where hitting save threw errors, but the changes did save eventually.  It seems that if we are persistent enough, we can get the settings changes to save.

Also of note, the errors are displaying differently, depending on the browser used.  The one that I had initially attached came from Chrome, and trying the same operation in IE throws a more verbose error message:

Thanks,

Ted

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ted Vint‌,

Like Johnathan Hasthorpe‌ suggested, it's always a good practice to clear the browser cache after each release of the website.

When sharing the survey to other stakeholders, following things will happen behind the scenes:

1. If not exists, a feature service view item will be created with the name pattern: {survey name}_stakeholder

2. The new created stakeholder feature service view item will be shared to the sharing level you specified in the Analyze tab of Collaborate page

3. The form item will be shared to the sharing level you specified in addition to previous sharing level. For example, if you want to share the survey to the stakeholders in group A and B:

* If the survey has never been shared before (including in the Submit tab), then after sharing, the form item and the stakeholder feature service view item will be both shared to group A and group B

* If the survey has been shared before, such as the form item is already shared to the org level and also group C (as fieldworker role), then after sharing, the form item will be shared to the org level, group A, B and C, the stakeholder feature service view item will be shared to group A and B

To fix the issue manually, please go to the My Content page of ArcGIS Online and open the survey folder, then following the exact steps below:

1. Delete the stakeholder feature service view item with the name pattern: {survey name}_stakeholder

* Do not delete other feature service item that may contain your real survey data

2. Unshare all remained items in the survey folder

3. In the Survey123 website, go back to My Surveys page, refresh the page

4. Go the Collaborate page, and share it to other stakeholders you want

Note: you may need to fix the sharing relationship as fieldworker role by sharing the survey in the Submit tab of Collaborate page again

In addition, can you please answer the following questions to help us try to find the reason of the bug?

* Is the survey created in Survey123 Connect or Survey123 website?

* Is the survey created in very early time (which is "code sample" item type in ArcGIS Online) or a recent time (which is "form" item type in ArcGIS Online)?

TedVint
New Contributor II

Hi Zhifang,

Thank you for the thorough explanation, that is very helpful information.

In answer to your questions, the survey was created in Survey 123 Connect, and was from recent time (form item).

Thanks,

Ted

0 Kudos
OscarSepulveda_III
Occasional Contributor

Deleting the 'stakeholder' folder was exactly what was needed to change the collaboration choice in Survey123 website.

0 Kudos
ShaneClarke
Esri Contributor

I get the same "Failed to save {}" error.

I have used Survey123Connect version 1.10.43 to create a survey using a feature layer from ArcGIS Server.

The Survey is created and published without errors.

However, when I go to the Survey123 website / My Surveys and click on the "Collaborate" option for this survey I get the "Failed to Save {}" error.

I have refreshed the cache for the browser (Chrome, Ctrl-F5) but this has not made any difference.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
ShaneClarke
Esri Contributor

The problem was that the hosted feature service item was not located in the Survey folder. Moving the item to the Survey folder solved the problem.

Jesse_Friend
New Contributor II

Hello,

I do not have my original Survey folder anymore. Is there a way to solve this problem still?

Thanks

Jesse

0 Kudos