Edit existing records using Survey123

03-13-2019 02:51 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My workflow is as flows: We have an asset feature class with multiple related tables that are published to AGOL. These are brought into a Webmap, and is accessed using ArcGIS Collector. Field crews will access the feature class of an asset, and edit some of the fields in Collector for ArcGIS. When completed, the field crew will do a site visit. using Collector for ArcGIS, they open the pop-up for that asset, and click on the Begin Survey URL Submission to open the Survey in Survey123. They collect data and submit survey to the feature class and related tables (using repeats in the survey). This in turn creates a new record in the feature class. These 2 records for the same asset are now unrelated.I need a way to tie these 2 together, either by editing the existing record in Survey123 (and NOT creating a new one) or finding a work-around that gets the 2 records tied to eachother so when the hosted feature class is downloaded as a FGDB, all records for that asset are related back to the asset point feature, regardless if it were edited in Collector or Survey123. Is this possible?

thank you

Dan

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

The way to approach editing in the context you describe would be to use the Inbox functionality; even if the field app supported editing via URL, it wouldn't necessarily be able to support doing so in a disconnected mode as it may not have the features you wish to edit loaded (which is what the Inbox does).

0 Kudos
AdamBourque
New Contributor III

Hey James I see what you're saying; I will use the inbox solution thanks for your help. However, I will note that the thing I like about the URL is it autopopulates the ASSET ID from the collector webmap where I am utilizing them most out of the pop-up.

So now, my field workers have to open up survey123 app and search for each ASSET ID. I know there is the map function in Survey123 but you can't categorize symbology based on the answered values (yes/no hydrant flushed example) right? Lastly, my map function isn't even working in Survey123 to begin with, is that because you have to enable geopoint question or is it because I'm using a related table? The map function would use existing feature coordinates and not location based on where you took the survey correct? 

Thanks, sorry for the bombardment of questions, just trying to get clarity of my limitations. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

Yes, a Geopoint question needs to be present for the map to show in the Inbox.  Support for additional mapping capabilities (including using web maps with symbology) is currently in beta; refer to Include a map in your survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

0 Kudos
HayleighFisher
New Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick  As the user asked below-- is this capability supported yet? Editing in the field application via URL? 

Since the inbox functionality does not support attachments we are at a stand still with our workflow. What are the available options to be able to allow users to edit existing features (and attachments)? We want to be able to email the users a link to the survey assigned to them and then it open up and let them populate the rest of the data in the feature service via the survey. Currently it appears like this is not possible. 

Thanks,

Hayleigh 

0 Kudos
MartijnJansma
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Is editing in the field application via URL considered in an update in the future, or will the Inbox be the only option?

0 Kudos