Edit existing records using Survey123

03-13-2019 02:51 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My workflow is as flows: We have an asset feature class with multiple related tables that are published to AGOL. These are brought into a Webmap, and is accessed using ArcGIS Collector. Field crews will access the feature class of an asset, and edit some of the fields in Collector for ArcGIS. When completed, the field crew will do a site visit. using Collector for ArcGIS, they open the pop-up for that asset, and click on the Begin Survey URL Submission to open the Survey in Survey123. They collect data and submit survey to the feature class and related tables (using repeats in the survey). This in turn creates a new record in the feature class. These 2 records for the same asset are now unrelated.I need a way to tie these 2 together, either by editing the existing record in Survey123 (and NOT creating a new one) or finding a work-around that gets the 2 records tied to eachother so when the hosted feature class is downloaded as a FGDB, all records for that asset are related back to the asset point feature, regardless if it were edited in Collector or Survey123. Is this possible?

thank you

Dan

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dan 

You can edit existing features using the Survey123 inbox. In your workflow, you would need to run an inbox query to pull down the collector submitted features/records, and then select the relevant feature/related table in the inbox ready for editing. You would then be able to add new records to the related tables or update existing values.

We do have an enhancement open to allow you to use a custom url to download/open a specified feature in the inbox - and this would make the process more streamlined, as you could use a link to get to the record.

I note that you are creating both parent and child features when submitting data via your surveys. It is also possible to create a survey that targets the related table directly, meaning that you can add inspections to the related table without submitting a duplicate of the asset (to the feature service). You could, in fact, use the custom url from Collector to launch a new survey targetting the related table, prepopulated with the GUID used to link it back to the parent feature. I can provide more information on this workflow if required. 

Thanks

John

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Johnathon, thank you!

The use of Inbox with a query expression is exactly what i was looking for.

Cheers,

Dan

TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Hello....Johnathan Hasthorpe...This is a workflow I would be interested in getting more info about...."You could, in fact, use the custom url from Collector to launch a new survey targetting the related table, prepopulated with the GUID used to link it back to the parent feature. I can provide more information on this workflow if required." 

Thanks.

Tony

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have found that incorporating the Inbox feature of Survey123 worked well for our workflow.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the S123 Inbox feature does work well for most of our surveys. However, I've found that S123 performance suffers when survey records number in the thousands, particularly for complex surveys.  I've also found that dealing with tile packages (.tpk) for disconnected data capture is simpler in Collector; and it doesn't help that S123 can't access existing .tpk files on iOS used by Collector. The map component of Collector is also superior, so I'm wondering if multiple repeat inspections for points (trees) already captured could be done more effectively in S123 but through a Collector URL call that accesses only the related (repeat) table. Our workflow for this is entirely in S123 right now. 

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep I do this workflow with 9 forms all connected.  Works great and it allows us to have multiple tablets collecting at one time.  Plus we get to us Collector for spatial and survey for forms (best tool for the job).

I have a write up here on how to connect it all together.   https://community.esri.com/thread/221263-mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-admin-unit 

Hope it helps.

AdamBourque
New Contributor III

Hi John, can you edit existing feature layer points without creating new points? I have my ASSET ID to autopopulate in the survey, but the problem is it ends up just creating another point with that same ASSET ID with a new point location. I am just trying to modify the attributes using Survey123 instead of Collector for several reasons. Is this something you have to use the GUID or some kind of relation class (haven't found out how to if so)? I am getting data from Survey123 to this feature, just like I said as new points instead of existing the current point data (not trying to edit existing surveys). 

Thank you for the help, been at this all week. 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

You can edit existing features using the Inbox functionality.  Based on your description, it sounds like you are using a URL to open Survey123; currently, editing in the field application is not supported (though is supported in the web version) at this time.

0 Kudos
AdamBourque
New Contributor III

Thanks James I did discover the web map capability. Is there absolutely no way to use the field app? I am helping places in rural Kentucky that don't have access to Internet all the time/want to be able to use this workflow offline. I may be in denial but what is the purpose in have the bind GUID field option? There's absolutely no workaround using relationship tables or if  need be as a desperate attempt to autopopulate the "new point" at the existing location of the feature?