Select to view content in your preferred language

Default values not populating when there is a relevant expresson

Jump to solution
09-29-2016 11:53 AM
JimW
by
Occasional Contributor II

I just upgraded to the latest version of Survey123.  I have a form for collecting the results of manhole inspections.  When the form opens, only five questions are visible and except for the comments field all have a default value as shown below.

There are several hidden fields that appear if the user selects No for "Is this a routine inspection?"  These fields all default to "Sound" so that if there is nothing wrong with the manhole, the user only has to update precipitation and kind of inspection, saving them a few taps.  If there is an issue with the manhole, the user will click "No" for "Is this a routine inspection?" and the condition assessment fields should appear all with a default value of "Sound" so that the end user only has to enter data for those parts of a manhole that are not sound. My problem is this is not happening for those questions that appear based on a relevant expression.

It looks like this has something to do with my relevant expression.  If I delete the relevant expression and save the form, the default values appear as expected and as it did under the previous version. 

Is this a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?

I attached my excel file also.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi! I think I found the problem: If you remove the relevant expression in rows 9 to 18 (included) your form looks to behave as you would expect. I used 1.8 to perform this test.

So here are some notes on what is going on.  You have a begin group statement in row 8. You are applying a relevant expression to this group. This is great, because applying an expression to a group, will hide or show all questions within that group accordingly. The issue seems to be that you are ALSO adding the same expression to every question within the Group. These redundant relevant statements are making the defaults not to show up.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi! I think I found the problem: If you remove the relevant expression in rows 9 to 18 (included) your form looks to behave as you would expect. I used 1.8 to perform this test.

So here are some notes on what is going on.  You have a begin group statement in row 8. You are applying a relevant expression to this group. This is great, because applying an expression to a group, will hide or show all questions within that group accordingly. The issue seems to be that you are ALSO adding the same expression to every question within the Group. These redundant relevant statements are making the defaults not to show up.  

JimW
by
Occasional Contributor II

Great! I didn't realize that applying the relevant expression to a begin group applies to all questions in the group.  It makes sense now that I hear it.  In the previous version, I had it set up on each question I didn't want displayed but I also didn't have it applied at the group level.  I am glad it was a simple fix.  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos