Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating matrix in form

01-18-2017 09:33 PM
DavidSmith14
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a form for doing bird surveys. We'll be collecting data on what birds are seen, how many, and how far away they are (4 distance categories). It's pretty important that we have a list of the most common species already on the form and have 4 corresponding boxes for each distance category. That would allow us to just populate the box without having to type in the species and select the category, which takes time and potentially means that we miss species.

I've attached an image of what I mean in case this helps.

I can't figure out if this is possible in Survey123. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave

5 Replies
AlexCarnes
New Contributor II

Would also love to know if this is possible

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

I don't believe survey123 is the best tool for this type of tallying activity.  Unless you were to do the initial survey by hand than once all of the totals are collected input this into a survey as a means of data input.  Then it would be fairly easy to create inputs for each bird and distance and enter the correct value.

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

At this time, we don't support grid-like layouts in Survey123.  Addressing  Christopher McClain 's comment, Survey123Connect-authored surveys can support live tallying with the 'spinner' appearance (which presents an increment and decrement button on the question), though this might be visually complicated with a grid-like appearance once supported.

AlexCarnes
New Contributor II

Thanks James. So does this mean this sort of grid layout entry is in the works and if so, any idea when?

DavidSmith14
New Contributor

Thanks for your help, James. Do you know of any software that would be useful for what I'm trying to do? We've been using excel forms, but they're pretty glitchy.

Dave.

0 Kudos