Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a default choice for a select_one_list_name type?

Jump to solution
03-28-2023 07:17 AM
choenig
New Contributor II

I'm sure this is easier than I'm making it out to be, but how do you create a default choice when using a select_one_list_name type? For example, the Land Ownership choices are Federal, State, Tribal, Private, etc. Because most of the work is on federal land, I would like Federal to be default selected. If I just type in "Federal" into the default field, it does not select my radio button in the drop-down menu. What is the correct syntax to get the option from my select_one list selected? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

You need to make sure that the value you type into the default field matches exactly with the value in the name field in your choices tab.

In the example below, to set the default to "Yes", you need to type "1" into the default field. 

mshanaghan_0-1680013570496.pngmshanaghan_1-1680013588855.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The text you put in that column has to match the code from the choices sheet, not the description. So if you have some code or abbreviation you're using in the select_one, like "FED", then that's what you need to put in as the default.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
mshanaghan
Occasional Contributor

You need to make sure that the value you type into the default field matches exactly with the value in the name field in your choices tab.

In the example below, to set the default to "Yes", you need to type "1" into the default field. 

mshanaghan_0-1680013570496.pngmshanaghan_1-1680013588855.png

0 Kudos
choenig
New Contributor II

See, so much easier than I was making it! Thank you both!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I suggest you change it have the name and label be the same.  Years from now no one will know what 1 means but everyone knows what Yes means.  Just makes it complicated for no real benefit.

0 Kudos