Constraint message in Web Form persists during correct answer

Jump to solution
11-05-2018 09:55 AM
NickDierks1
Occasional Contributor II

In a survey published as a web form, I've noticed that constraint messages for certain questions will always display, regardless of the user input provided. This applies to custom constraint messages as well as the the default "It's an invalid answer" (when the constraint_message column is left blank). The constraint itself is triggered appropriately, turning red only when an incorrect input is provided, but the message displays the entire time (even before an input is provided), no matter what.

So far, I've seen this happen with text, integer, and date fields, but not yet a select_one. This occurs in both Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers. I don't recall this happening before version 3.1, but I didn't do enough web form testing to be certain.

The fact that this behaviour is only within the web form, and even then is inconsistently applied to different question types, leads me to believe this is a bug, but I wanted to check here to make sure it's not just me. Is anyone else experiencing this? And if so, can anyone who hasn't upgraded to 3.1 test this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElliottPlack1
New Contributor III

The update appears to have been completed!

Invalid:

Valid:

View solution in original post

15 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. This could be a BUG. Could you please share the XLSForm so we can have a closer look? If you do not want to share the XLSForm attached to this thread, feel free to email the survey to survey123@esri.com referencing this GeoNet thread.  Thanks!

NickDierks1

Sure thing; attached is the test form I used to confirm it wasn't unique to my other survey.

0 Kudos
TregChristopher
Occasional Contributor

I'm seeing the same thing as Nick and (pretty sure) I didn't see it when I first published forms from Connect around 10/23 (using v 3_0_149) but then upgraded in November (to v 3_1_126) and now see the constraint messages, on load, in the webforms.

Confirming also that field app version still works as normal and that for webforms, the constraint shows regardless of custom vs default message and that it is on two different types of constraints ( a date field and an email field) (see pic below).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any word about when we can expect this to be fixed? It looks very unprofessional to have the message appear or if no constraint is specified it just states the the answer is invalid when it is not.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nikholai,

This is planned to be addressed in our late February release.

deleted-user-gdY-GmN0uDXr
New Contributor II

Has the version with this fix been released yet?

0 Kudos
TregChristopher
Occasional Contributor

I just tested and this was NOT fixed with the 3.3.51 release! In addition, it seems like the default condition for my observation date field (today()) is now not being added on load to the webform.

0 Kudos
PhillipBailey
New Contributor

I have also encountered this issue (and others) using the new S123 version 3.1.126. 

Connect vs. Web form functionality: repeats, calculations, relevant statements  

In another thread(Survey123 Connect .>now() constraint not working ) I read that date isn't validating or being enforced until the end of the survey (until submitting).

Integer fields too as stated above.

I've had to abandon constraints and relevant statements in some cases just to get a working web version of a Survey.

0 Kudos
NickDierks1

To update:

As Treg Christopher‌ mentions above, this issue ended up not getting resolved in version 3.3, and is now scheduled for version 3.4 in May (source: Ismael Chivite‌'s comment in the 3.3 release notes thread).

I know it's not a survey-breaking issue, but I'm very much looking forward to it being resolved. Fingers crossed!