Conditional default in repeat questions

05-20-2019 04:43 PM
deleted-user-a_zHTK67PWYA
New Contributor II

I have a repeat set of questions that starts with a select_one question with 4 options. The point of this question is to keep the observer on an unbiased path when taking measurements. The question is "What is your location from the center of the stream channel?". The four options are "Left 1 meter" (L1), R1, L2, R2. I would like the answer to cycle default in that order. There is no constraint on the number of repeats. The idea is that the location is recorded in the repeat table but the observer isn't changing the location from the default. Instead they are using it to guide their sampling. If there is something obstructing their ability to take a measurement, they can change the location and the default cycle resets from that question onward. Is this possible? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I guess it does make a cycle.  Try this.  Add another field that has a calc of if(${lastChoice}= 'R1','L1','R2') then add this field as the calc value for loc.  That may trick it.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-a_zHTK67PWYA
New Contributor II

Nope. Cant trick Survey123 I guess. Bummer. Thanks for all the help! Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I'll repost if I figure out an solution. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What about a second field inside the repeat that just calc to ${loc}.  Then use this field in the join...?

0 Kudos