Can I split a list of multiple choice answers in the Excel output?

04-25-2019 08:56 AM
ClaytonCooley1
New Contributor II

I've exported the results of a recent survey as a FGDB, then converted the table to an Excel spreadsheet. Once I opened the spreadsheet I noticed that the answers for the two multiple choice questions were all in the same field, but separated by commas. In the Survey123 Results page, the totals for each answer is tallied up in the bar chart, but I can't replicate this with the Excel format. Is there a way to split these answers in Excel? That probably sounds confusing, but hopefully my screenshots will help.

Thanks!

Question in the Survey:

Results in the Excel Spreadsheet:

Results on the Survey123 Results page:

3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Clayton, 

The values can be split using Excel's Text to Columns, though the order isn't guaranteed.  You could also create columns using the FIND & ISERROR functions to detect the presence/absence of values - https://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/find.php 

0 Kudos
AJohns17
New Contributor II

i too have this questions but i'm trying to build a dashboard.  The widgets won't let me break up the answers (domains).  How would I go about filtering by value and not by feature?

ChelseaDickerson1
New Contributor II

I have the same question; I would love to be able to build my dashboard in a better way! I'd like to be able to have the user select JUST "Appearance/Taste" and have it pull all submissions that have that as one of the subjects.

0 Kudos