Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculating a repeat group for a geoshape field

Jump to solution
03-26-2024 09:36 AM
DanaYoung
New Contributor III

Is there a way to obtain a sum from a repeated group of the Area calculated from a geoshape feature? I originally had this as a text feature, but thought it would make it easier for the end user to draw out the area of biocontrol agent being released, but then that messed up the Total Release calculation I had. I found a different post addressing a similar situation and tried the join() instead of sum(), but that didn't seem to work (came back with coordinate data), so maybe I didn't set the join formula correctly? See snap shot of the table I'm working with.

TIA

DanaYoung_1-1711470855810.png

this is the formula I had for a join, for biosum_count:

join('; ', ${bioamt})
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean calculate the area of each polygon, then sum all those up across all repeats?

If so you can use a field with a area calc inside the repeat.

decimal field type  calc:  area(${name of geoshape field})

Then outside the repeat use sum(area field above) to add them all up.

Great post on all of this here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-lines-and-polygons... 

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean calculate the area of each polygon, then sum all those up across all repeats?

If so you can use a field with a area calc inside the repeat.

decimal field type  calc:  area(${name of geoshape field})

Then outside the repeat use sum(area field above) to add them all up.

Great post on all of this here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-lines-and-polygons... 

Hope that helps

DanaYoung
New Contributor III

Yes! That's what I'm trying to do, thank you! and thank you for this link!