Bluetooth Devices and Survey123

05-24-2018 07:53 AM
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

I have a group that are interested in using S123 to enter data when interviewing anglers about their fishing activities and their catch. They would like to use an electronic measuring board to automatically input fish length, further decreasing any chance of data input error. These devices are Bluetooth enabled. Are there any plans for syncing S123 with Bluetooth enabled devices for some data entry? I have an idea of what data are broadcast by the board to a host, and I can/will get in touch with the board make to get more info as needed.

Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

PS - I will be at the UC this year and can further discuss this particular request in person.

Chris Anderson

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

Fish and Wildlife Research Institute

Tags (2)
6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

There currently aren't specific plans to support a measuring board, but an area of active interest is supporting external devices.  It might be best to follow this up at UC.

0 Kudos
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

I understand. The main focus of the question was about supporting the entry of data from an external device (not necessarily from this specific one). I will get in touch with you a later date to find when it would be best to meet at the UC.

Chris

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

No worries.  One of the difficulties with supporting devices is that the often have customized data formats; additionally, iOS requires the device maker to authorize an application to connect with a device, leading external device support to be an device-by-device evaluation.

0 Kudos
AndrewMcClary1
New Contributor II

Hi James,

I'd like to second the request for compatibility with bluetooth enabled devices. For a lot of the surveys my group does we are tagging fish with RFID tags, which are then scanned with a bluetooth enabled tag reader. Being able to directly populate a field with the number of a scanned tag would be a huge plus for us. As it stands it's currently one of the major reasons that we haven't adopted Survey123 more widely (although we still use it for a lot of our other surveys).

Thanks

Andrew McClary

Russian River Salmon and Steelhead Monitoring Program

eMAPAdmin
New Contributor

Hi James, I was curious if there are any current ways to have bluetooth devices send data into Survey123 forms. Perhaps the JS functions? I am looking to have a ground water parameter meter that sends data every several minutes to a Survey123 form.

0 Kudos
MichaelAndres
New Contributor II

Andrew,

We also would like to scan RFID tags using Survey123 and a BLE reader. Have you had any traction on this topic?