battery drain when using field app

02-22-2018 01:20 PM
ChrisShuck1
New Contributor II

Has anyone else experienced very quick battery drain while using the Survey123 app? Someone in my organization was thinking if we set the survey to "Open the survey in the Survey123 field app directly" that this would help with the problem. However, it seems to me that it always opens in the field app on my phone regardless of the setting. Also, if we choose that setting, it automatically defaults back to "Open the survey in browser directly" upon signing back into the Survey123 site.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

A couple of things- the first is that as Survey123 uses location services more frequently than normal apps, we do expect the battery to drain faster than normal usage of the phone.  Additionally, you may have heard about some stories with regards to older phones - as a phone ages and the battery gets to the end of it's lifecycle (in normal use, around 3 years), the battery life will shorten significantly.

As for the Collaborate page, the link provided is not a form setting - it's just a helpful way to select how you want to share the form.  It reseting to the first option on load is normal- it has no effect on the form or previous copies of the link you made. That being said, someone should only need to use that link once- after that, the form is downloaded and accessible simply by opening the app.

0 Kudos
ChrisShuck1
New Contributor II

Okay. Thanks for the quick reply.

Chris

0 Kudos
spicergroup
New Contributor II

Is there a way to turn down the frequency of location service requests?  This is a big problem as we rely on Survey 123 primarily for the form based attribute input more than editing locations of gis features.  This makes no sense that collector or field maps would last longer and be more location oriented.

0 Kudos
ScottRutzmoser1
New Contributor II

Did you ever get an answer to this issue? We see extensive battery consumption using the Survey 123 app on brand new Dell rugged tablets. Not getting answers, maybe someone found a workaround? 

0 Kudos