Autopopulating state, district based on a location on survey123

Jump to solution
10-06-2017 05:16 AM
SrinivasSanthanam
New Contributor

Hi,

I have been looking into survey123 and its capabilities and I am truly fascinated by it. Currently I am building a survey which consist of state and district fields

So when I enter the location in the survey(geopoint) , I want to autopopulate the state and district fields without manually entering the values (especially while creating a dropdown for district which would have 1000's of values). I wanted to know whether this can be possible in survey123 as it would drastically reduce the workload. I read about cascading selects or repeats in many threads , but somehow nopt able to get a hang of it.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this issue.

Thanks and awaiting a response

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SrinivasSanthanam,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have extended the pulldata() function to now include spatial searches. You can find the latest announcements, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shrinivas 

Unfortunately the workflow that you describe requires the use of spatial queries - which are currently not supported. We do have this down as an enhancement request though and will add you to it.

So your best option would be to use cascading selects (as you mentioned) to let the user pick the state and then filter a second drop down list that only contains the districts within that state - which they can then make a selection from. You can use the autocomplete appearance to et the user type text to filter the list further.

There is a sample called "Cascading Selects" available through the connect application (new survey=>samples=>Cascading Selects), which I would recommend as a starting point. Also please take a look at https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2015/10/22/cascading-selects-and-external-selects .

Please let me know if you need any further help with this.

Thanks

John

SrinivasSanthanam
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. By using cascading selects it would be

similar to an attribute query, i. e filtering those districts belonging to

a particular state that the user chooses.

which would further mean that a user could select any state and can be in

direct conflict with the location reported by the device.

I am afraid, I would not want that. Is there any other way to incorporate

such spatial queries?

With Regards

Srinivas Santhanam

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shrinivas 

Yes - you are correct in your explanation. The only other option is to bring the data into ArcGIS for Desktop and do some post processing. i.e. use an intersect to update the the survey features based on the polygon boundary they are situated in.

Thanks

John

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SrinivasSanthanam,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have extended the pulldata() function to now include spatial searches. You can find the latest announcements, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos