auto populate information from a shapefile uploaded to survey123 online

10-22-2018 04:05 PM
NathanDulfon
New Contributor III

survey123‌

Survey123 Geonet

arcgis‌

ArcGIS Online

I am trying to auto populate information from a shapefile I uploaded to arcgis/survey123.com into my survey123 forms based on the geopoint location.... 

more specifically I have a shapefile of grazing allotments on the Manti-La Sal National forest and am building a survey in survey123 connect.... I want to auto populate the allotment name in the survey form based on the geopoint....

do I use pulldata() ???

I am new to survey123 and just need a little guidance... I know that I will need the url for the shapefile from arcgis/survey123.com... and I just don't know how to setup the calculation in my xlsform...

Any help is great!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nathan,

Currently, Survey123 does support a point-in-polygoin lookup.  This can be done with a beta feature (custom JS function) - you can find out more at the Early Adopter Community.

0 Kudos
NathanDulfon
New Contributor III

I looked up the "beta feature" but I have no clue how to do this as I am a newbie to survey123.... It would be much easier to have an example to follow.... 

I appreciate your response! and thank you!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nathan,

The example survey file with the document provides the basics - the main effort would be to replace the query setup to be based on a value instead of a location. Query (Feature Service/Layer)—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers provides documentation - you would be revising the where parameter to do the query.

0 Kudos
NathanDulfon
New Contributor III

James... you are a GIS rockstar!

and way above my knowledge level...

however I am figuring out how to autopopulate certain questions with the answer of other questions in the form....

I think it would be great for a way to upload shapefiles into survey123 or AGOL and drill through them to extract the data by point and auto fill the survey form out.... just a thought that would save time in the field....

I hope this post helps someone out there....

and thank you again for the information... I will keep continuing my quest for understanding of the background programming.... I know it would help me produce some kick butt forms for vegetation data collection in the field...

0 Kudos
NathanDulfon
New Contributor III

James,

I have successfully used pop up configuration in web map in AGOL to link shapefiles to collector... then within collector have the gps location auto populate survey123...

Do you guys plan on having it so pop up configurations can be utilized in S123 to autopopulate questions based on location?

0 Kudos