Attachments in Survey123 Field App

06-22-2022 10:53 AM
GIS_utahDEM
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a projected timeline when file attachments will be available in the inbox as well? I currently don't have the ability to change the field type, put it in a repeat or add an additional question (the inbox is one small portion of a large multi-user interactive process involving the web app, dashboards, view layers, submission urls, etc.), but I really need my inbox users to be able to see previously submitted attachments and add additional attachments to a multiline "file" question. As far as I understand there is no way to do this right now without changing the field type or adding an additional field? 

7 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @GIS_utahDEM

The ability to access file attachments in the Inbox is still in our backlog and we don't have a timeline at the moment. As a workaround to access existing file attachments a JavaScript function can be used to query the queryAttachments endpoint and return the URL for the file attachment. That URL can then be used as a hyperlink in a note question so the user can download the attachment on their device. Please see the sample below for reference (all that needs to be updated is the REST URL's in the JS file). 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
GIS_utahDEM

@ZacharySutherby Thanks so much for your response! I am not very experienced with javascript so I'm unfortunately still having some issues:

I have copied the code and survey fields over, and I am able to publish -- but when I go into the field app and try to click "Access Attachment" it says I'll need a new app to open the qrc link. I'm guessing (I could be completely wrong) that it has something to do with the URL and the id field that I swapped to. I don't have inc_id so instead I used my case_number field which is a text field with no restrictions. I swapped inc_id in line 15 (let where = "where=inc_id="+"'"+incid+"'";) to case_number, and I swapped the layerURL for my feature layer. Another thing that may be weird is that my survey has a submission URL which is pointing at a view layer of another hosted feature layer (which was created by a survey) -- not sure if that would affect anything. 

Appreciate any insight you have!!

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @GIS_utahDEM

When you modified the JS file did you update both the queryfl() function and the query_attach() function? If so if you make the question that runs the JS function a note question does it return a URL? Ex. 

ZacharySutherby_0-1656004809510.png

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
GIS_utahDEM

@ZacharySutherby Yes, I was able to swap both URLs. 

I am including a screenshot of what I see when I click the "Access Attachment" link. I am unable to right click it or inspect in any other way as far as I can tell. 

I am also including a screenshot from my survey123 connect and the .js file that I'm referencing

GIS_utahDEM_0-1656006462751.png

GIS_utahDEM_1-1656006691154.png

0 Kudos
Czapiga_Jason
New Contributor II

Are there any updates on a timeline for this functionality?

ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @GIS_utahDEM

If you switch the query_attach question from a calculate to a note or text question when you are in the Inbox does that display a URL?  

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
GIS_utahDEM

@ZacharySutherby 

When I leave the Query Attachment as a note instead of a calculation it returns "JavaScript functions are disabled." I published the survey and am viewing the survey when logged in to the same account -- I saw that other organization users may have some issues. The survey isn't public but is shared with specific groups that have members from other organizations.  

0 Kudos