I am creating a survey for a customer in Survey123 Connect that needs to be displayed/utilized in a web browser. I am finding a number of differences between the two platforms and was wondering if these issues will be corrected in the near future. Here are some of the issues I have encountered:
1) The image attachment option works for all files in the form preview (Survey123 Connect) but not in the URL. Is there anyway this can be fixed? It seems to only allow pictures in the URL even though you can select all files as an option.
2) The button in the URL states ‘click here to upload image file’ when in the preview form you can select either a camera icon or a folder icon. Is there any way this can be edited in the URL?
3) The decimal field does not work in the URL and does work in Survey123 Connect; I have had to change the field type to text to accommodate this error.
4) In the URL are you able to edit the end message: Thank you your form has been submitted. I know this is possible with Survey123 web designer but this is not available in Survey123 Connect. Are there any plans for this to be available in all aspects of Survey123?
By URL I assume you mean Survey123 web app (web form). You are correct, there are some differences between the web app and field app due to the underlying format and technology being used, and the expected use cases and workflows that either the web app or field would be required to be used in. There are some features that are available in field app, that will unlikely be available in web app (and vice versa), due to the web app running from within a browser, compared to the field app running as a native app on a mobile device. That being said, we are working very hard to close the gap and ensure the functionality is as close as possible between the field app and web app for features that are and will be supported in both in the future.
To answer your specific questions:
1) Currently the field app does not support non-image file attachments such as pdf and docx. The same applies for the web app, only image files are supported. If you are using Windows, by default you may see an all files option in the chooser, which allows selecting any file type, although that does not mean it is supported. It will not preview in the app, and it will only upload if it is supported by AGOL. Whilst you may be able to select other file types in Windows, the same can not be said with iOS and Android devices, using the same question and browse option will only return a gallery with photos. We have an open enhancement request for supporting pdf, word and other file types, and is something we are aiming to implement in the future.
2) Due to the nature and limitation of different web browsers and interaction with built in camera devices, the camera option is not supported in the web app, only in the field app. We have an open feature request for this however no timeline for implementation. In the mean time photos can be taken using default camera app on device and then selected via browse option if required.
3) Can you please expand on this? What issues have you encountered with decimal field types in the web app. There are some known issues however we are working on resolving these in a future release, so any further details on the error type or unexpected behaviour would help assist greatly in resolving this.
4) The thank you message is a feature was developed for the web app specifically, related to submitting a survey in a web browser. When using the field app there is no thank you message page due to how surveys are sent from the Outbox. You can create and modify a thank you message via the web app settings, but once you open the survey in Connect and change settings and republish, you will not be able to edit again in the web app. We do have a feature enhancement to support editing of the thank you message in Connect in the future.
Hope this information helps in understanding the differences and why they may exist, also I have adding your comments to the related feature requests.
Thank you for getting back to me. Just to clarify I am creating my survey in Survey123 Connect but it will be hosted on the clients website and not used in the field. Survey123 Connect was used because the advanced form was more appropriate than the basic web browser form design.
In regards to the decimal place, I think this is a coding issue. I contacted Tech Support previously and they said the code was in French? I am not a coder and didn’t realize there was a difference but when coding in French the decimal point is symbolized as a comma rather than a point. I hope that helps!
Thanks again for taking the time to clarify all my points, I really appreciate it.
Claire McGinn | GIS Consultant
Esri Canada | Sterling Place
200-9940 106th St | Edmonton AB T5K 2N2
T 780-392-0775 | esri.ca<http://esri.ca/>
Ok, that makes sense. Well hopefully with future updates and improvements to the web app it will be closer to the full functionality in the field app you are after.
As for the decimal place issue, yes we are aware of using a . vs , in different languages and region settings, this will likely be resolved in either the 2.7 or 2.8 release of the website.
We've made an enhancement in 3.3 release to allow editing the thank you screen content of Survey123 Connect surveys directly in the Design page of Survey123 website, just as you edit it for the surveys published from the website. Please be noticed after editing and publishing the survey on the website, you have to use 3.3 or higher version of the web app to see the result.
The 3.3 release is planned before the Dev Summit, please stay tuned with our release blog and doc to find more details.
Thanks again for your feedback!
Also saw on the Sneak Peek page that PDF support in the Survey123 field app is to be developed. No indication of dates however. What kind of time-frame should I think about? Summer 2019? Year end?
We currently do not have a timeline for that feature; it will be looked into after the release from beta of the feature report capability.
Updated: misread as being PDF export from the feature report functionality.