Android OS or not

07-26-2019 03:13 PM
ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

looking at getting a tablet with an Android OS, or should I get windows?  Will this matter using survey123 connect and I also have collector.  Thoughts.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Todd,

> looking at getting a tablet with an Android OS, or should I get windows?  Will this matter using survey123 connect and I also have collector. 

For Survey123 for ArcGIS, using Android vs a Windows tablet does not matter. The end user experience will be the same when working with forms. Even if you create forms with Survey123 Connect, this should not be an issue. Survey123 is built on AppStudio for ArcGIS.

For Collector for ArcGIS, this will matter. FYI, the new Collector (Aurora) app for Android is in beta release. There is currently no release for the Windows OS, only Collector Classic is available on Windows.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

Thank you for the quick reply.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Diehard Android guy here but I now have to admit that currently the iPads are way faster running 123.  Also you get the newer Collector.  Getting TPKs on is still a pain.

As far as Windows tablets - one of the biggest reasons we are converting to 123 is so we can ditch the Windows tablets.  Big, heavy, horrible battery life, GPS issues all the time, overheating, and 4-5X more expensive.  Also always the last to get apps it seems.

ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

Hi Doug,

I am looking at getting a rugged tablet and found one that is Android OS,

it sound like to me that I will be using 123 connect most of the time if

not always. I will be out in the field and need to make sure I have a

quality tablet and one that can stand up to the weather. I do not know if

the ipad is able to do this. The Android OS does just fine with the 123

connect?

Thank you,

Todd Ackerman

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Todd,

> The Android OS does just fine with the 123 connect?

Just to be clear: Survey123 Connect does not work on Android - it only works on Windows, macOS, and Linux.

Survey123 for ArcGIS Resources | Downloads, Training, Videos & Documentation 

On the Android tablet you would be using the Survey123 mobile app, or you could access web forms in a web browser.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

Thank you for getting back to me.  

I use windows to create my survey on my desktop.  I am looking at a rugged tablet that runs Android OS, I should be able to collect data using this device, am I correct?  

If I understand you, I can not create my survey with an Android OS.  

Thank you and working on a Sunday, WOW

Todd

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry Todd I was in a bit of a rush that day.

Yes Android works just fine.  I ran a shop of 400 tablets and they were very reliable and lasted up to 4 years.  These were even just regular and not rugged.  It sounds like you are just getting started so your forms are probably not crazy big.  My point was just really large forms perform faster on iOS.  This is esp true with the rugged Samsung Active 2 since we have found out it is running 32 bit Android.  But again if you are not doing massive forms you should be fine.

As Derek said Connect is for building the forms.  The 123 app is what you use to fill out forms.  They also have a web version of both.

0 Kudos
ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

Thank you Doug for your reply.

Thank you,

Todd Ackerman

0 Kudos
ToddAckerman
New Contributor III

Hi Doug,

This was sent to Philip Wilson and attached he mentioned that you have been able to do this. 

Guessing you can tell by the question I am new at this and learning a lot.  So to answer your question, I would say from the first repeat.  An example would be starting at the trailhead and the width of the trial is 30 inches, I go down the trail 25 feet and collect another point and the trail width is still 30 inches, so I am hoping I would not have to reenter this value again. But, as I go down the trail the width changes to 20 inches and so I collect another point and change the width to 20 inches and am hoping his number (20) would remain until I change it again.

I hope this helps you in helping me.

Thank you again,

Todd

This was Philips respose

Yes, you can do this. You will need to use a hidden question outside of the repeat to store the last value entered into a repeat record and then set a calculation to use this value when a new repeat record is added. It is a little tricky to configure, but other users such as Doug Browning have done this successfully and posted about it.

Where can I find your posting on this?

thanks again Doug

Todd

0 Kudos