Select to view content in your preferred language

An error occurred when rendering by the report engine. Maximum call stack size exceeded

a month ago
DuncanC
Occasional Contributor

Anyone have any experience with this error message?

I have a survey with a couple repeats.  Everything is fine until there is a lot of items in the repeats and then I get this error and can't output a report.  The number of items allowed before a lot turns into too many seems to be surprisingly low. I have 40 some items in one repeat, and 100 in another, max call stack size exceeded.. If it only has the 40 items in the one repeat that's fine.  Or the 100 in the other.  But I can't output a report with both.

The survey can have the 'too many' items in the repeats, so long as the report template only deals with one repeat it will complete.

I'm working around it, but I'm wondering if anybody has any insight on what exactly upsets it so I can optimize things and avoid that error message as much as possible.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aslwedbaloex
New Contributor

• Error Description: The error "Maximum call stack size exceeded" indicates that the report engine has encountered a recursive function or an infinite loop, causing it to exceed the available stack memory.

• Check Recursion: Review your report design for any recursive functions or calculations. Ensure that recursive calls have proper exit conditions.

• Examine Data Sources: Verify that data sources and queries are not causing infinite loops or excessive recursion.

• Simplify Reports: Reduce the complexity of your reports. Break them into smaller, more manageable components if possible.

• Optimize Calculations: Ensure that any complex calculations or expressions are optimized and do not create excessive recursion.

• Increase Memory: Consider increasing the stack size like remember mom or memory allocation for the report engine if possible.

• Update Software: Make sure you are using the latest version of the report engine, as updates may include fixes for such errors.

• Error Logs: Check error logs for more details on where the stack overflow is occurring. This can provide insights into which part of the report is problematic.

• Test Incrementally: Add elements to your report incrementally to identify the specific component causing the issue.

• Consult Documentation: Refer to the report engine’s documentation for guidance on handling stack size errors and recommended practices.

• Seek Support: If the issue persists, contact technical support for the report engine with details about the error and your report setup.

• Monitor Performance: Regularly monitor the performance of your reports and optimize them to prevent similar issues in the future.

0 Kudos
PhillJones

It sounds like you're encountering a "max call stack size exceeded" error when trying to generate a report from a survey with multiple repeat sections. This error typically occurs when a process or function exceeds the maximum call stack size, which is a limit imposed by the JavaScript engine to prevent excessive recursion or memory usage.

Here are a few insights and tips to help optimize your survey and avoid this error:

1. **Review Recursion in Your Report Template**: The error might be due to excessive recursion or nested loops in your report template. Check if your template involves recursive functions or deeply nested data structures. Simplifying or flattening these structures can help.

2. **Optimize Data Handling**: If possible, reduce the complexity of the data being processed. For instance, if there are ways to aggregate or summarize the data before generating the report, doing so could reduce the load on the system.

3. **Check JavaScript Functions**: If your report template includes custom JavaScript functions, ensure they are optimized and do not inadvertently create deep recursion. Consider using iterative approaches instead of recursive ones where possible.

4. **Increase Stack Size (if feasible)**: In some environments, it might be possible to increase the maximum call stack size. However, this is often not recommended as a long-term solution and might not be feasible depending on the system but you can try picsart unlocked version.

5. **Simplify Report Templates**: Break down complex reports into smaller, more manageable parts. Instead of handling everything in a single report template, try creating separate reports for each repeat section and then combine the results if needed.

6. **Debug and Test**: Use debugging tools to pinpoint where the error occurs. Testing with smaller datasets can help identify specific triggers and allow you to make more targeted optimizations.

7. **Consult Documentation or Support**: Check if there are any known issues or limitations related to the tool or platform you’re using. Sometimes, there are specific guidelines or updates that can address such problems.

By following these steps, you should be able to better understand the source of the issue and implement solutions to optimize your report generation process.

0 Kudos