allowUpdates for specific questions

Jump to solution
12-07-2018 10:17 AM
ErikHerberg
New Contributor III

I use Inbox with fixed locations that field staff visit repeatedly. Based on the information at Prepare for editing existing survey data, I used allowUpdates=True in the bind::esri:parameters column of the row with begin repeat. This successfully allows a user to open a sent survey, edit, and resubmit.

Is there a way to allow editing of a sent survey for specific fields/questions in the repeat but not others? Or is it currently only possible to allow editing for everything in a repeat or nothing?

Thanks,

-Erik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Erik

The allowUpdates=True parameter applies to all questions contained in a repeat.

One method for controlling edits on specific fields would be to create a new survey using the same feature service as the original. In the new survey, disable editing on fields by making them read-only or removing them from the form altogether. Enable the inbox so users can access existing data in the new survey.

Generating a survey from an existing feature service is documented here: Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS.

Jim

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Erik

The allowUpdates=True parameter applies to all questions contained in a repeat.

One method for controlling edits on specific fields would be to create a new survey using the same feature service as the original. In the new survey, disable editing on fields by making them read-only or removing them from the form altogether. Enable the inbox so users can access existing data in the new survey.

Generating a survey from an existing feature service is documented here: Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS.

Jim

ErikHerberg
New Contributor III

Hi Jim,

Thanks for confirming the behavior of allowUpdates=True.

I just want to confirm I understand. So, there is not a way to block edits for specific fields in a repeat once a user has reopened a previously sent survey. Essentially, either all fields in a repeat can be locked or all can be editable, by using allowUpdates=True. Instead, a workaround would be to create a second app built on the same feature service, where I could set the fields I want locked to readonly (or remove them). And the field staff would be able to use this second app to query previously sent surveys in the existing feature service and edit/resubmit them, if necessary. Is that the gist of your suggestion?

Thanks,

-Erik

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Erik, that's correct, your description is spot on.

It could be that you allow your field staff to open both surveys in the Survey123 app. They could use the original survey to submit new records only (disable the inbox on this one so existing records cannot be modified) and then switch to the new survey (with inbox enabled and some fields set to read-only) to make edits to existing records. Alternatively, if field staff do not need to use the original survey you could simply stop sharing it with them.

Jim

ErikHerberg
New Contributor III

Got it! Thanks for your responses