Adding questions to a repeat

02-27-2019 01:12 AM
DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

I have had to do an update to a form, which requires adding some questions to several repeats. It is stalling on the republish.

I've found this:

• Republishing a survey will cause it to stop responding if you have only added a new question to a repeat. As a workaround, you can add a new question outside of the repeat, and then republish. The new question added outside of the repeat will also need to be deleted from the feature service afterward if not needed.

Repeats—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

I'm finding this a bit vague on how to get it to work, any further advice would be seriously helpful.

I'm working in Survey123 Connect v3.3.51 (updated today) on MacOS

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

Yes, as the documentation states, we have a known limitation with adding new questions to only the related tables/layers in a survey, which causes Connect to hang. The known workaround is to also add a new question/field to the parent layer at the same time, and then when you re-publish the survey, the parent layer will get the new field added, but also all the related tables/layers shoud also get the new fields you added within those repeats.

Once it publishes successfully you need to go and delete the extra field you added to parent layer, and also remove that question from your survey if it is not needed.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Phil.

DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for elaborating on the documentation Philip Wilson

Unfortunately it still seems to be hanging, despite adding the additional field (have tried twice), it adds the additional field but doesn't finish the publication. It asks me to acknowledge the five additional fields (one dummy, four in repeats) before starting, but hangs (see image below).

Interestingly, it does add the new field to the feature service:

I will leave it running over lunch and see if it is just slow, but my gut tells me that it is hanging as this is really, unusually slow if it isn't.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

I just tried it with a simple existing survey using Connect 3.3 and worked for me. I added a text field to the parent layer, and then also a new text field to a repeat. What type of questions are you trying to add? Does it work if you try simple text field? Are you adding to different repeats each new field, and are they layer or tables (ie have geopoint question in them)?

Also, you may need to add the question to the parent layer before the first repeat, so that it completes the actions in order and before it attempts the first repeat. Does that help?

Parent layer:

Repeat table:

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Same thing is happening again unfortunately it has been hanging since the last message. I will try again with a question at the start and another at the end and see how that works.

0 Kudos