Adding a Captcha survey 123

Jump to solution
02-08-2018 08:31 AM
SamuelRoss
New Contributor III

Is there a way to add a Captcha or a Captcha like thing to a user created survey in survey123? Thanks

Tags (1)
25 Replies
SamuelRoss
New Contributor III

Ya for my case we are publishing a document to the public and my supervisors in the government want to have a captcha so as to prevent any bot use. The survey will be posted on a government website so they are concerned about bot usage

DSIProvince_Nord
New Contributor III

Hi there,

The new EU Regulation regarding the gathering of personal data (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32016R0679) means we now have to add captcha to every public survey which collects nominative information.

Addin a captcha, regardless of how effective it is, will be mandatory for such surveys.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Can you provide details on what part of the legislation you believe requires CAPTCHA?  I am admittedly not a lawyer; I did a scan of the English translation of the document and it seems to pertain to the processing and storage of personal information. CAPTCHA is concerned with ensuring that the data being submitted comes from a non-automated system, so it doesn't seem directly applicable.

0 Kudos
PatriciaSaint-Vincent
New Contributor

Does anyone know if the issue about adding Captcha to Survey123 has been resolved? My government organization also requires that I add Captcha to my survey, as it is part of a Citizen Science project.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Patricia,

Currently we are still investigating requirements and alternatives.  Does your agency have a description of the requirement for a CAPTCHA-like system?

0 Kudos
PatriciaSaint-Vincent
New Contributor

No, they simply asked for Captcha.

0 Kudos
DSIProvince_Nord
New Contributor III

Hi,

James Tedrick is right, it is more related to security against bots than anonimity.

Anyway we found a solution by asking our webmaster to add a captcha before displaying the Survey123 iFrame.

0 Kudos
ChristopherJennings4
New Contributor II

Hello,

This would be a valuable addition to Survey123. Especially useful for weeding out bogus submissions to the local government agencies.

0 Kudos
ChrisWoodward
New Contributor III

Is there an existing enhancement request for adding this?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi,

I don't see an existing Idea or Enhancement request for this.  That being said, currently a CAPTCHA would be of limited use in that it would be able to protect the web page from loading automatically but would not protect the feature service submission endpoint, which can be reached outside of the Survey123 application.  This is still a topic of research for the Survey123 team; if a solution to that issue can be found, it would make a CAPTHA implementation a viable enhancement.