Select to view content in your preferred language

Provide better documentation on server updates (Esri Case #03648630)

09-09-2024 07:38 AM
Labels (2)
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

This idea is in relation to an issue from earlier this year (2024) where a server update/platform change on Esri's Feature Report server resulted in different and stricter parsing parameters relating to IIS configuration (ArcGIS Enterprise).

This change to how IIS data was handed within Esri's Feature Report service resulted in an ~48 hour service outage while the issue was investigated.

When asked about any platform changes within the last 24hours, Esri was under the impression that "nothing had changed", which was not the case.

What I am looking for is better communication both within Esri and between Esri and the general public about their server updates.

Information relating to platform changes should be posted, perhaps through documentation enhancements (i.e. What's New) or through the introduction of a public-facing change log comparable to what is offered with ArcGIS Hub (i.e. https://hub.arcgis.com/pages/changelog), etc.

2 Comments
RobertAnderson3

I feel like a similar instance where communication needed to be better was the recent Power Automate updates, when it's BTS stuff we don't really know when or what's happened, but in this case, it sure caused some glaring issues.

zkovacs

Unfortunately this has been the case for quite some time now.

In my experience, Tech Support is the last to know if there was an update somewhere and it will take days for them to find out as they contact the relevant teams/go through the chain. The Status page only shows a generalised status and/or issues hitting a certain KPI so a lot of the actual 'outages' will never be reflected there...

There are a lot of components and parts in play with AGOL, and quite a few of them have different update schedules which do not align with the quarterly AGOL updates. 😉 The abovementioned Hub team is one of them, that's why they can fix issues a lot quicker. (I did work with them on some issues throughout the years and they were always very quick to get the ball rolling.)