Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: Working with attachments in Microsoft Power Automate

02-25-2021 07:58 PM
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
8 94 27.8K

This content is obsolete.

Check this new post for the latest.

Survey123 smart forms let you record signatures, photos, annotated images and upload documents into ArcGIS. All of these are stored in ArcGIS as 'attachments'. Microsoft Automate includes a Survey123 connector that helps you access ArcGIS attachments submitted through a smart form.

This blog provides guidance for two common scenarios involving Survey123 attachments and Microsoft Power Automate:

• Adding multiple Survey123 attachments to an email
  • Uploading Survey123 attachments into Microsoft OneDrive

It is assumed you are already familiar with task automation using Survey123 and Microsoft Power Automate. If so, get started by publishing a survey with an image, signature, file or some other question that uses ArcGIS attachments. Then log into Office 365 and create a new Automated flow with the Survey123 trigger. Follow the instructions below to experiment first hand with Survey123 attachments in Power Automate.

Before we start

To work with ArcGIS attachments in Power Automate, we are going to use the HTTP module in Power Automate. Through this module we will query your survey's layer using the ArcGIS REST API. Now, for these queries to work, you first need to make sure that query capabilities are enabled in your survey's layer.

The easiest way to enable queries in your survey layer is though the Collaborate tab in the Survey123 website, although you can also do it manually through the item details page of your survey's layer.

Adding multiple attachments to an email

Survey123 attachments are modeled as an array. In Microsoft Power Automate, you can create an array variable and populate it with Survey123 attachments. Later you can include that array variable in your email.

Immediately after your Survey123 trigger, add the Initialize variable action. We will populate this variable later with the attachments from your survey. Make sure you set the action Type to Array and set a descriptive name. Leave the initial value empty.

Automate_001.png

Next, add an HTTP action. This will help us download the attachments. Set the Method to POST. For the URI, you will use the Dynamic content dialog and select the feature attachment URL for your question. In my case, the question with attachments in my survey is called photo, so the dynamic content is feature attachments photo URL.

If you are working with a survey that is shared privately, you will also need to add your token as a query parameter. You can get a valid token from the dynamic content dialog (Portal Info Token).

Automate_002.png

Survey123 attachments URLs are modeled as an array because a single question in Survey123 can be used
to capture one or many attachments. Microsoft Automate will recognize your photo URL content as
an array and add an Apply to each block automatically.

Immediately after your HTTP module, add an Append to array variable action.

• For the Name, select the variable you initialized at the top of your flow.
  • For the value, you need to carefully enter a JSON string specifying the ContentBytes and unique Name of the attachments.
  • Start by adding this JSON string

{
  "ContentBytes": <Your HTTP action Body goes here. Build using an Expression>,
  "Name":<Your feature attachments name goes here. Get from Dynamic Content>
}

• Now, replace the ContentBytes and Name values as follows:
    • ContentBytes: Use the Expression tab to write the following expression: base64ToBinary (body('HTTP').$content)
    • Name: Use the Dynamic content tab to select the feature attachments name property for the question with your attachments. In my case it was feature attachments photos name.

fow3.gif Make sure you set your JSON value accurately. Do not forget the commas, curly brackets and other things that make JSON be JSON...  Do not forget the comma right after the Body Content!

Add a new Step to send an email.

Automate_004.png

The key to setting up the Send an email action is to open the Advanced options panel and click the Switch to input entire array icon.

Automate_005.png

You will now be able to use the Dynamic content dialog to select the array variable you setup at the beginning of the flow.

Automate_006.png

Adding Survey123 attachments to Microsoft OneDrive

Next we will have a look at another common scenario where you might want to backup your files, or host them outside ArcGIS so they can be used with other third party systems.

If you want to upload your attachments into Microsoft One Drive, for example, you can use the Upload file from URL action. For the Source URL property, select from the Dynamic content dialog the feature attachments URL array for the appropriate question in your survey. Remember that if working against a private survey you will also need to add your token to the url (?token=[Portal Info Token]). An apply to each block will be added automatically for you. Now all you need to do is to select the Destination File Path for your file. You can select an existing folder, or even create a new one.

Automate_007.png

In the example above, I set the Destination File Path using one of the questions in my survey. The value of my question determines the directory in OneDrive where the file will be stored. If the folder exists, it will use it. Otherwise, it will create a new one. This is an interesting concept, as it helps organizing files nicely: by ZIP
code, by case ID, by field team, etc.

A similar approach can be used to upload files into SharePoint, Google Drive or Microsoft Azure File Storage

94 Comments
JasonCyphers
Occasional Contributor III

Any guidance on how to perform this if adding a feature (with attachments) to the feature layer via a method other than Survey123 (i.e. adding features through Field Maps)?

Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

Hi @IsmaelChivite

It looks like this work flow works well for AGOL Survey123s, I am looking to dump photos from a survey into OneDrive but I am working with Enterprise. I have connected my enterprise instance to Power Automate and have the tabular data from the survey moving through PA. I am having troubles getting the 'source url' for my photos. I do not get the same set of dynamic content that you show in your examples. For some reason enterprise survey123 connections have a different options. I am trying to write a expression to call my photos but I am not having luck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

@Michael_VanHattenEnterprise and AGO should have identical options. The only difference between the two flows should be Step #1 (the Trigger) and of course if you named things differently in your survey design (e.g., Ismael's repeat is named "photos", but yours could be named "picture_attach_repeat" or something to that effect).

1. I'd start by checking the custom enterprise connection: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000025025
  2. Next, you can check that event data is included in your survey response (in the S123 site or even S123 Connect)
    abureaux_0-1651523008576.png
  3. Finally, double-check that the steps were followed as outlined above.

The fact that you are seeing different options is odd. This flow should still work with Enterprise though (I used it recently. But it isn't a regular one for anything I have yet).

Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

Hi @abureaux,

Thanks for the quick response. I have my enterprise connection setup correctly and I followed the exact steps you mentioned in your response. My enterprise connection works without issue, and I have all my web hook options enable. The issue I have is the the dynamic content offered to the S123 trigger are not the same as those offered for a survey published through enterprise. I get not features or attribute content and have to make custom expressions to call particular attributes. This means I get no feature.attribute.photo. I know my names will be different but regardless the enterprise trigger does not give you the same list of dynamic content that a normal S123 connection would/ is shown. Something with enterprise connections makes the dynamic content different in PA. 

I am thinking I need to write a expression to call the photos, for all my attributes (questions in survey) I wrote expressions to call the data because there are no dynamic content options available. Example triggerBody()?['feature']?['attributes']['facility_name'] gets me the "Facility Name" answers from the survey. For the photos I have to call the related table with the photos and I am not sure how to do that.

Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

I am wondering if anyone has been successful with the photo to One drive workflow using an ArcGIS Enterprise Connection? I have my enterprise connection for survey123 and I am moving submitted data, I want to dump survey photos into OneDrive but the mention worklfow above does not seem to work with Enterprise Connections. There is no dynamic content for any of the feature attachments when using a enterprise connection. 

Will Microsoft Power Automate ever reach the capabilities and ease of Integromat/Made? If I had the option I would use Integromat, PA seems to be much more involved and take a lot of custom expressions. There doesn't seem to be the same support, it would be really great if PA had all the same integrations with ESRI products that Integromat has, Microsoft is often not a battle with IT departments but some third party software they haven't heard of is hard to get approval for. 

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

@Michael_VanHatten, Sorry. I missed your last comment. 

This workflow should work fine with enterprise. If you are missing things in dynamic content, that is a Power Automate issue. A lot of the time, Power Automate doesn't display everything that is available. To force Power Automate to show you everything in the dynamic content list:

1. Click on Expression
  2. Type =
  3. Click on Dynamic content
  4. You can now delete the = and scroll through the list. This does disable text search though (i.e., typing anything else in the search field will not narrow down the list)

I highly doubt MS will ever make PA as user friendly as Integromat. PA is quite powerful though, and once you get a couple flows set up, it should get much easier (speaking as someone that moved from Integromat to PA).

Michael_VanHatten
New Contributor III

Hi @abureaux

Thanks for the response, unfortunately even after using your suggestion of '=' in the dynamic content I do not get anything for my feature attachments. I have no way to link my photos URL to the HTTP paths or any part of the above mentioned work flow. You say that this workflow should work for enterprise, are you using this with enterprise? It seems to me that AGOL and Enterprise do not have the same support with PA. Almost every workflow I find for survey123 and PA references dynamic content for photos and unique questions in the survey. The enterprise dynamic content has never shown me any of my attributes (unique survey questions) or anything that mentions photos. 

I have not dynamic content to fill in these questions in the example
InkedAutomate_007_LI.jpg

I think I can write expressions to call the photos but I do not know what is being called in the highlighted boxes I do not get any dynamic content like that.

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

The support for PA is identical between AGOL and Enterprise. I use Enterprise exclusively, but I have also worked with AGOL for troubleshooting purposes. The only difference is the connector. I can swap a flow from being an Enterprise flow to an AGOL flow simply by changing the connector from my Custom Connector (Enterprise) to the built-in AGOL connector.

The connector you have in your screen shot looks like the AGOL connector. You can customize Enterprise's Custom Connector within PA, so maybe that is what you did here?

You can confirm which connection you should be using in PA by going to Data (in the left-hand list) > Connections. You will see your Custom Connector in the list (this is mine):

abureaux_0-1652133510166.png

Then, in your flow, you should add this same Custom Connector as the flow's trigger:

abureaux_3-1652133952626.png

I have multiple Custom Connectors for various testing environments, which is why there are multiple options here. If you hover over one though, it gives you the full name.

If you reference that trigger (in my example, I am using a Compose), the dynamic content should be populated by items from your survey:

abureaux_1-1652133693567.png

Does this match what you are doing? If not, where exactly does it break down. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding you.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I am having issues with the append to array variable. I keep getting the error "Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Append_to_array_variable' inputs at line '0' and column '0': 'The template language expression 'base64ToBinary (body('HTTP').$content)' cannot be evaluated because property '$content' doesn't exist, available properties are 'error'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'."

I'm not sure what's wrong, I even recreated it and it still doesn't work. Here is a screeshot.

LondonChadwick1_0-1652800994685.png

AmeWunderle
New Contributor III

Hi all,  I am getting the same response as LondonChadwick. 

If I simply send the body it doesn't work either, I get an email with attachment but its unreadable, although that's how its suggested here:

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000024579#:~:text=In%20Microsoft%20Power%20Automate%2C....

Thanks,

Ame

Ursu_Lacramioara
New Contributor III

Hello @IsmaelChivite 

I followed the instructions with the function for "base64ToBinary (body('HTTP').$content)" to attach pictures from Survey 123 using Power Automate, and got same error as Anne and LondonChadwick 1.

"InvalidTemplate. Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Append_to_array_variable' inputs at line '0' and column '0': 'The template language expression 'base64ToBinary(body('HTTP').$content)' cannot be evaluated because property '$content' cannot be selected. Property selection is not supported on values of type 'String'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

any ideas? 

Thanks

Lacri 

AmeWunderle
New Contributor III

Hi all,

So I was able to get this working today starting from scratch. The big difference is that I set up the flow piece by piece, testing after each addition.

So my suggestion for anyone who is having trouble, start from the smallest step and test, then use that test to check each substep afterwards. You will be rewarded!

Ursu_Lacramioara
New Contributor III

Hi AmeWunderle,

I did this step by step and still got the same error that Content is String. I looked in the schema and the field type is Binary.  Did you use this function? base64ToBinary (body('HTTP').$content)

Thanks

Lacri

AmeWunderle
New Contributor III

Hi Lacri,

I found that if I tested the flow after each connector I added, after adding the HTTP connector I got the proper HTTP response. I did end up using the base64ToBinary(body('HTTP').$content). 

Also for anyone out there with similar issues, I found that testing using a recent trigger doesn't work consistently, so you will need to do a manual test (submit to the survey with attachments) for each flow test. This is a more reliable test than the recent trigger.

Hope this helps!

Ursu_Lacramioara
New Contributor III

Hi AmeWunderle,

it did work in the end, for the HTTP, I used GET instead of POST and added the token too. 

Thank you!

Lacri

NeohLiMay
New Contributor II

Hi @IsmaelChivite , I get the same error as Anne, LondonChadwick 1, and Ursu. 

I tried the workarounds mentioned above and even tried GET for HTTP, but I still get the same error. 

Could you kindly look into this? Thank you!

NeohLiMay_0-1657681595527.png

Hammers211
New Contributor III

@IsmaelChiviteI am trying to use this guide for attaching two variables to an email (a photo and an attached .doc file) but I can't figure it out. I am essentially repeating the initialize/HTTP/append steps for each file, but I am getting errors. Any help?

Ursu_Lacramioara
New Contributor III

Hi NeohLiMay and Hammers 21, 

In the Survey 123 you will need an additional field that counts the pictures. You  can have this set up: 

typename

label

imageImage1Take Pictures
integerImageCountImage Count

Image 1 is the question to take pictures.

ImageCount is to count these attachments. Field type as Integer,  and for Calculation field use this formula: 

count-selected(${Image1})

In the appearance field type" hidden". 

Now in the MPA flow use a condition that calculates the pictures.

The condition is If ImageCount > 0 than add the rest of conditions from the user guide. I used the GET instead of POST for the HTTP trigger. 

Ursu_Lacramioara_0-1659360767796.png

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Does anyone know if this is possible to configure so that the email is sent when a feature is updated? Something like send an email with the attachments when a status is changed from "pending" to "approved?"

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@ZachBodenner Go into the Survey123 website. Select your survey. Go into Settings-Webhooks. Enable the Existing record edited trigger.

IsmaelChivite_0-1667857819826.png

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks @IsmaelChivite ! Do I need to do anything in Power Automate after that? I still only get the "response submitted" trigger there.

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

PS I'm also getting a similar error to many on here:

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Append_to_array_variable' inputs at line '0' and column '0': 'The template language expression 'base64ToBinary(body('HTTP').$content)' cannot be evaluated because property '$content' cannot be selected. Array elements can only be selected using an integer index. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

I followed @AmeWunderle 's advice to test step by step, using fresh test submissions, and still get the error.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @IsmaelChivite

I am using the connector to create a card in Trello with attachments (Images from Survey123). If the user attaches multiple images do you know I would set this up in Power Automate.

Current Setup:

ScoobyDooNZ_3-1671665713890.png

ScoobyDooNZ_2-1671665683939.png

I am currently loading the attachments into Onedrive as a Test which worked. Though it seems like an unnecessary task.

Any help would be awesome 🙂

wilbanrw
New Contributor II

I tried this walk through and get the same error a few people seem to be getting. I am using the multiline appearance for my image field within the survey, not sure if that will make a difference. The survey requires pictures so there will always be at least one. Did those of you who had the below error figure out a solution?  

Any advise will be appreciated!

@IsmaelChivite @Ursu_Lacramioara @AmeWunderle1 

(Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Append_to_array_variable' inputs at line '0' and column '0': 'The template language expression 'base64ToBinary (body('HTTP').$content)' cannot be evaluated because property '$content' cannot be selected. Array elements can only be selected using an integer index. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.)

wilbanrw_0-1676064079984.png

JessicaRidout2
New Contributor

Hi @IsmaelChivite I'm trying to use the HTTP method to attach photos from my survey to a notification email, but I'm getting an error in the Append to array variable action. It says '$content' does not exist. I'm getting this if I use the JSON expression base64ToBinary (body('HTTP').$content)

I also tried the shorter version you used in the video snip, body('HTTP').$content. Same result either way.

"'The template language expression 'body('HTTP').$content' cannot be evaluated because property '$content' doesn't exist, available properties are 'error'. "

Is this not supported yet? Or am I just doing something wrong?

JessicaRidout2_0-1681248957824.png

Edit: I see lots of folks with the same problem. I tried the users suggestion of starting from scratch and testing after each step, and changing the HTTP method to GET. Still getting the same error. 

RachelAblondi18
New Contributor

@Ursu_Lacramioara 

I also used GET instead of POST and added the token too as you suggested and I was able to attach a PDF to an email. I also used base64ToBinary(body('HTTP').$content)

ThomasWrede
New Contributor II

Thank you @IsmaelChivite for your article. Thank you @DavidClark9 for your tip on running the flow with an option to not have attachments. 

I have a survey where some submitters add attachments, others don’t. After the action "Initialize Variable" for potential attachments, I have a condition that reads:

“feature/attachments/attachments” is equal to “equals(triggerOutputs()?['body/feature/attachments/attachments'],null)”

Under the "If yes" option, I have a "Send an Email" action that is unsuccessful without attachments.  Under the "If no" option, I have a "Send an Email" action that is successful with attachments (after doing the necessarily steps for attachments as outlined in the article). I understand why the "Apply to Each" action fails, but do not understand why the "Email without attachment" action is skipped when there are no attachments (as seen below).  

Perhaps this question is better suited elsewhere but any help is greatly appreciated.Flow_Example.jpg

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @ThomasWrede 

Your "Condition" step is what failed here. Everything below is automatically skipped because of this (Looks like something is wrong with your "Apply to each 2" logic as well, causing it to fail for some reason).

Assuming that the logic was successful: If your "Condition" was yes, then all the no steps would be skipped. Vise versa if "Condition" was no. This is perfectly normal:

abureaux_0-1682432086757.png

For attachments, I personally do the logic step at the survey level, because it just seems far easier to me:

abureaux_1-1682432332493.png

I provide a yes_no to even show the upload attachments option. And I use that question in the "Condition" step. 

ThomasWrede
New Contributor II

Thank you for your prompt response, @abureaux !

I can get the “Condition” and “Apply to Each” to work with attachments as seen here. My hope is that I can do the same without attachments.

Flow_Example_Attachments.png

I’m not sure I follow the suggestion on the logic at the survey level. Is something done in the xls form? Could you expand on that more? A couple of my flows are triggered when an “existing record is edited”, so that may complicate matters...

ThomasWrede
New Contributor II

@JessicaRidout2 

I used the "POST" method and "Feature Attachment URL" dynamic content url to have attachments successfully come through HTTP.  I used "base64ToBinary (body('HTTP').$content)" in the JSON expression as well. 

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @ThomasWrede 

That looks perfect!

If you have gotten that far, I don't foresee you haveing any issues with the "without attachments" branch. 

All I was referring to in my post is that I generally have a yes_no question in my surveys that contain optional attachments. Yes = Show and require an attachment. No = Hide attachments. In my Power Automate flows, I reference that yes_no question in the Condition step.

rsun_TQB

Hi @IsmaelChivite ,

Will this work for public facing survey? If you tried to submit a survey anonymously, will your MS Power Autoamte workflow still able to access the survey attachment using  HTTP action? 

I got no token return and ask me to contact Server Admin...

Can any collaboration setting of the survey get this issue fixed?

Thanks a lot,

Reno

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@rsun_TQB This will work as long as your survey layer is shared publicly AND queries are allowed.  This is a security setting that you may not want to change lightly. If your survey data is sensitive, you should not allow queries by anonymous users. By default, queries are always disabled when you publish a survey, but you can change that in the Collaborate tab by enabling updates.

rsun_TQB

Hi @IsmaelChivite ,

Thank you for letting me know. The survey will contain resident's personal contact info, so I will not enable updates. 

I am using portal administrator account for custom Surve123 connector for any survey 123 automation.

I understand the webhook is triggered by anonymous user (public), but I wish the portal administrator account that I am using for my power automate flow will be able to extract the attachments from the survey without issue. 

Is there a way to use HTTP action with our portal administrator (connection) securely to request attachments of the survey?

The automation was designed for internal staff to view attachments on our SharePoint Online, and resident basically just get a email response.

I know this might be too much to ask, but I think it will be really handy.

Sincerely,

Reno

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@rsun_TQB  Not too much to ask. It is a very reasonable request. I think you could explore different options to do this. Instead of using the HTTP connector, give the ArcGIS connector in Power Automate a go. It includes a lot of handy actions, including get Attachments.  I think you could combine your Survey123 and ArcGIS connector for your purpose into a single flow.

Javier_Lucena
New Contributor

@IsmaelChivite thank you for this wonderful post. But I have been running into an issue when trying to us the append to array variable step. After looking though this post, I am not able to resolve the issues. Below is the error message that continues to pop up. I have tried every possible example on here and on other sites. Would love to pick your brain or anyone else on here. 

v/r

Javier

Javier_Lucena_0-1688756136428.png

NJDEPBrandonMcAlister
New Contributor III

Is it possible to do this with the send an email notification, the send an email notification lacks the ability to "switch input to entire array". The send an email notification comes from Power automate, where send an email, comes from the user that is signed in. There are some draw backs to using the Send an email notification like only 100 emails in 24 hours, where send an email can send 900 in 60 seconds.

However I would prefer if my name wasn't in the from line, which is what would happen with "Send an email"

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I am successfully using "Send an Email (V2)" for all my flows:

abureaux_0-1689864254304.png

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm, using the same as abureaux, In the advanced options you can set a "Send as" and I have mine set to our do_not_reply address, but you need permissions to send as that email address. As well it still shows up in my Sent Emails folder in Outlook, so not super ideal still.

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Sorry. I missed part of the question.

@RobertAnderson3 is correct, you can specify "From" in the Advanced Settings.

Another option is set up an account in your Connections:

abureaux_0-1689867180983.png

In either case, being an email, you must specify an email as the source, but it doesn't have to be your email. I use a service account to send out all my automated emails. If you work for an organization, you can have your IT set up a dedicated email for that purpose (e.g., digital_stuff@yourcompany.com), and then use that for all of these emails. Hopefully that helps!

JaymieCroucher
New Contributor II

Thanks for this article @IsmaelChivite

Export Nested Survey123 Images to SharePoint using MS Flow

I've seen lots of guidance around setting up a flow for sending images from a survey via email and to also uploading images to SharePoint (see below).

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-include-arcgis-survey123-photo-attachments-in-a...
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-working-with/ba-p/...

Having followed both I've now successfully got a flow which lists all photo urls and has the ability to upload individual images to SharePoint (attached).

I now however have a problem around sending requests for multiple photos which are nested within a single question.

If I send individual requests (i.e. for surveys with only 1 Image) the flow runs successfully however if the nested survey question has 2 images associated I get a forbidden error as its sending 2 requests using the same token which individually work fine.

Are there any workarounds on delaying apply to each iterations or am I missing something with the token authorisation?

Any help or guidance much appreciated as this has been keeping me awake at night!

MSFlow_NestedImages_Export.jpg

PatriceLabbé
Occasional Contributor

Hi @IsmaelChivite,

Any idea on how to get attachments when the survey is shared publicly? Portal info token is null so it seems impossible to access them this way.

No problem using authentified surveys.

Thank you!

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@PatriceLabbé    I need to rework this old post. At the time when I wrote it the only way to handle attachments was via the HTTP module but today you can use the ArcGIS connector for that purpose.

In short, use the Survey123 connector to trigger your flow as usual, but when it comes to downloading the attachment, bring the ArcGIS connector. That way, you can pass your credentials to the ArcGIS module and get the attachment

PatriceLabbé
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @IsmaelChivite !

It works fine with the ArcGIS connector for Enterprise using the Get Attachment from URL action.

However, I was surprised that there was no Survey123 trigger with this new Connector. Is it planned to be added later? I had to create a custom Survey123 connector to make it work.