Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 07:32 AM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until last Friday it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

72 Replies
Mark__Empey
New Contributor

@OwenGeo 

This is happening currently - our storymaps work for a few seconds then refresh and no maps display. Is there a fix beyond removing the hidden items (required for functionality) and legend option (ideally the legend shows)? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Here is one of the StoryMaps: https://arcg.is/0SbKuy

-Mark 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Mark__Empey - I guess a few things to consider...

• For the swipe - is this comparison required as a web map? If there isn't a need to zoom in or click on pop-ups, the visual difference in boundaries could be shown just as effectively with an image swipe (just take screenshots of your maps and upload them).
  • Could the maps in slide 1 and 3 be combined into a single map with single layers that include data for both sites? That might save on some resources since you wouldn't have to load two different web maps across the first part of the sidecar
Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
LawrenceSmith
New Contributor

All seems to be working again from our side also - Thank you

YoannPalacio
New Contributor II

It's ok here.  Thank you! Merci!

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Update: Jun 30, 8pm ET

ArcGIS StoryMaps has been updated with new features and support for the latest mapping capabilities available in ArcGIS Online. For more information, see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (June 2022).

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
EllenNodwell_IntegraShare
Occasional Contributor

Yay! Our old and new stories appear to be functioning again!!  Sorry for the late response - we were "off" for the holiday... Thanks!

AnnieBeust
New Contributor

@OwenGeo 

Hello, I'm a student looking for a solution to this same problem, months later (October 2022). I'm using chrome, I've checked that my browser does support WebGL, but the express maps (tour maps also malfunctioning) has only successfully loaded once, but did not save. I tried something suggested on another community post and opened up 'developer tools' under the chrome three dot menu, then clicked the console tab, went back to StoryMaps, reloaded, and it worked! For a moment.... I'm not a developer but I could see that it said WebGL lost... so I suspect it has to do with that. However no matter how I tried to repeat the process or get anything to save, it won't. Is there another solution I don't know about? I'm a student and falling behind because of this issue. Base map won't load, search bar doesn't work, nothing to click or do. Same for manual Tour Map.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AnnieBeust -- Do you have any maps with a lot of layers in them? If you have one or more maps with many layers you can overload the browser memory and cause maps not to load.

Please see this FAQ for guidance on this. Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AnnieBeust
New Contributor

@OwenGeo Hi, No, as of now I can't load a beginning or new map at all. My screenshot attached before is me attempting to start a new express map.

0 Kudos
AnnieBeust
New Contributor

@OwenGeo  I think it's a webGL problem, even though I thought my browser supports it. (I checked the spinning cube site). How do I override what's going on with WebGL? This is what is looks like on my main story rn after refreshing: 

0 Kudos