Select to view content in your preferred language

Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 07:32 AM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until last Friday it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

72 Replies
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

we have absolutely the same issue. And tons of storymaps that are affected by this issue. We authored our web maps in the new Map Viewer, and what is interesting is that one web map, that is placed somewhere at the beginning of the storymap is shown, but all other maps are not.

BrandonCrafword
New Contributor II

Hi @OwenGeo - I'm experiencing the same issue as everyone else on this thread. Embedded maps worked perfectly fine until a few days ago. The first embedded map appears, but once I scroll to the second one, none of them work any longer (including the first embedded map). Here's the story map: https://arcg.is/1GznOi

Please let me know what you find out and how this issue can be fixed. We're relying on these maps for community input right now and are operating on a limited timeline. 

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

from esri technical support about this issue: "We were able to confirm that this behavior is caused by a release related bug: BUG-000150338 ...will let you know as soon as I have any information regarding a patch. I expect this to occur soon".

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

thank you for this. It's more info than we have currently. 

0 Kudos
AaronPDXPaul
New Contributor III

This may or may not apply to your situation. But here is what I have found...

If your Story Map was built using Web Maps from the Classic Viewer.

Then you open that Web Map in the New Map Viewer and save,

Your Story Maps might not display the Web Maps.

I've tested this on multiple Story Maps.

The solution is to open your Web Maps in Classic Viewer.

Then save, check your Story Maps and the Web Maps should display

I hope this helps,

Aaron

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We have an update on this issue.  

We have determined that this issue affects some stories that contain maps with the legend turned on.

If you have an immediate need to fix your story, you can turn off the legend widget in any maps where it is enabled and this should resolve the issue.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 4.08.21 PM.jpg

We are working to deploy a patch to resolve this issue for everyone soon and will post an update here when we have more information about the timeline for this.

We again apologize to those of you who have been affected by this issue.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
rebeccanewell
New Contributor II

This actually isn't working for me.  It's a story map that the legend had been turned on and now that I have toggled that option off, the map won't load at all.  I deleted the media from my sidecar and tried to read it and the web map won't load at all, even in the add map editor.  I have no ability to "place map" and layers are not drawing, nor is the basemap.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do we turn off a legend widget if we don't have a visible map item in our Storymap? That's where we enabled and disabled it. (Screenshot attached). Also our analyses are being shown to the public who will have no context without a legend. We also can't place maps and one of our affected maps doesn't even have a legend on it (an inserted basemap tour with three points)

0 Kudos
BrandonCrafword
New Contributor II

Turn off the legend didn't work for me either. I could turn it "off" in edit, but I'm then unable to "place map" so I effectively am blocked from updating the map (see grayed out "place map" below). 

BrandonCrafword_0-1656450598675.png

0 Kudos
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

Owen, 

I echoed the other's answers It did not work for us. Not only the legend option was disabled, but I could not even insert an additional web map to the existing StoryMap project that has a map displaying issue.

0 Kudos